‘Mallya getting Gandhi relics a proud moment for India’March 6th, 2009 - 3:22 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, March 6 (IANS) The successful bid for Mahatma Gandhi’s belongings by tycoon Vijay Mallya and the return of the relics to India is “a great moment of pride for every Indian”, the Sabarmati Ashram’s director Amrutbhai Modi said here Friday.
“It is a great moment of pride for every Indian that finally the personal belongings of Gandhiji have been won in an auction by Vijay Mallya and the same are being brought to India,” Modi told IANS.
Tony Bedi, a representative for Mallya, placed the winning bid of $1.8 million at New York’s Antiquorum Auctioneers auction house Thursday despite protests in India and an injunction from Delhi High Court seeking to halt the sale.
Mallya said he will be giving the articles to the government once the possession is handed over to him.
“Mallya can choose to give the relics to the national memorial of Gandhiji near Raj Ghat in New Delhi or any of the Mahatma’s memorials across the country.
“It would be very narrow minded of us to think that only the Sabarmati Ashram has the right to keep Gandhiji’s belongings. Gandhiji belonged to the entire nation and not just the Sabarmati Ashram,” Modi said.
Union Tourism Minister Ambika Soni had said earlier Friday that Mallya had bought the Mahatma’s belongings in conjunction with the Indian government.
“At this moment, who is bringing Gandhiji’s items back to the country is immaterial. We must rejoice that finally after so many years Gandhiji’s personal belongings are being brought back to India from a foreign country,” Modi said.
- Vijay Mallya wins Gandhi memorabilia for $1.8 mn, Indian elated (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2009
- 'Mallya bought Gandhi artefacts in conjunction with Indian government' - Mar 06, 2009
- Mixed response to auctioning of Gandhis belongings in Ahmedabad - Feb 13, 2009
- Family regrets auction of soil with Mahatma's blood - Apr 03, 2012
- UPA Government takes credit for getting Gandhi items back - Mar 06, 2009
- Gandhi memorabilia sold for $1.8 mn (Lead) - Mar 06, 2009
- Vijay Mallya buys Gandhi memorabilia for $1.8 mn (Second Lead) - Mar 06, 2009
- If Gandhiji had lived for another 10 years... - Jan 30, 2012
- Gandhi remains Obama's inspiration - Nov 05, 2010
- Arrival of Gandhi belongings in India will take some time - Mar 15, 2009
- Mallaya buys Gandhis belongings for 1.8 mn dollars - Mar 06, 2009
- The NRI who bid for Gandhi memorabilia - and lost - Mar 09, 2009
- NDA government played with national security: Congress - Mar 06, 2009
- I'll gift Gandhi memorabilia to government: Vijay Mallya - Mar 06, 2009
- I bid Gandhis memorabilia on my own: Vijay Mallya - Mar 06, 2009