Malls lack proper security, says police chiefFebruary 21st, 2009 - 9:03 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 21 (IANS) Shopping malls and multiplexes in Kolkata have not taken adequate security measures despite the Mumbai terror attack, Police Commissioner Gautam Mohan Chakraborty said Saturday.
“I am not fully satisfied with the security arrangements at the malls and multiplexes across the city. Even after 26/11, the owners are not taking the security factor seriously,” Chakraborty told reporters here.
He was speaking on the sidelines of a conference on safety at malls and multiplexes.
“Despite installing close circuit cameras, I doubt how many of them are monitored regularly, if not 24×7. At the entrance, there is no thorough checking of the bags and individuals,” he said.
Chakraborty added that the security guards at these places also lacked the expertise to deal with an emergency.
“Most guards don’t even know how to react during emergencies. They should immediately be given proper training. If the mall and multiplex owners want, the police can help,” Chakraborty said.
- Security beefed up in West Bengal after Delhi firing - Sep 19, 2010
- Security intensified in Bangalore on 26/11 anniversary - Nov 26, 2009
- Terror e-mail holds back shoppers in Delhi, suburbs - Sep 13, 2011
- Kolkata Police seek new anti-terrorism force, tenant database - Nov 27, 2008
- Seven special police men suspended in West Bengal - Oct 14, 2011
- High alert in West Bengal after Mumbai terror attacks - Nov 27, 2008
- Poll panel seeks replacement of Kolkata police chief - Mar 16, 2011
- Patna emerging luxe centre in eastern India - Sep 12, 2011
- Officials discuss poll arrangements for Kolkata - Jan 18, 2011
- I am the youngest star in the industry: Mithun Chakraborty - Jul 03, 2010
- Delhi hotels beef up security for Games - Sep 16, 2010
- Armed robbers loot Rs.15 lakh in Noida, nabbed, money recovered (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Man robbed at Noida mall, two hurt in shootout - Aug 06, 2012
- Poll panel asks for Kolkata top cop's removal (Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
- Three multiplexes in Mumbai to screen 'MNiK' - Feb 12, 2010