Malinga is the real game-changer: HarbhajanApril 12th, 2012 - 2:51 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 12 (IANS) Mumbai Indians’ skipper Harbhajan Singh has lauded Sri Lankan fast bowler Lasith Malinga whose dismissal of Owais Shah was the key to their 27-run win over Rajasthan Royals in their Indian Premier League (IPL) encounter at the Wankhede Stadium here.
Chasing a target of 198, Shah almost took Rajasthan Royals home smashing 76 off 42 balls Wednesday night before being bowled by Lasith Malinga.
While Kieron Pollard and Munaf Patel bagged four wickets each, Malinga was the game- changer as he dismissed Shah and Johan Botha in the crucial 14th over to pull back things for Mumbai Indians. Malinga conceded 13 runs for two wickets off four overs.
“You can bring him (Malinga) any time. If Shah had batted three more overs, the game would have finished in 19 overs. Lot of credit to Shah for the way he batted,” Harbhajan said after the match.
“The dew was a problem, but when you have 197 on the board, the opposition still have to keep the score moving,” he added.
Rajasthan’s skipper, Rahul Dravid, said they could have won the match if Shah had batted through the innings.
“We thought we had a chance when Shah was batting. (But) Malinga made the difference with his wicket. We needed to bat on. We were under the pump a little bit,” Dravid said.
“There was a little panic among the youngsters. It is an inexperienced attack. But there are a lot (of) positives. It is a bunch of talented kids who want to do well.”
Pollard, who was adjudged Man of the Match for smashing 64 off 33, said: “The team needed that impetus. Royals played really well, but we knew 10-11 runs every over would be difficult. (There was) a fantastic atmosphere. You can say that Mumbai is my second home.”
- Pollard shines in Mumbai's win over Rajasthan (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Rajasthan Royals opt to bat against Mumbai Indians - May 20, 2012
- Rajasthan Royals opt to bowl against Mumbai Indians - Apr 11, 2012
- IPL scoreboard: Mumbai Indians vs Rajasthan Royals - May 21, 2011
- IPL Scoreboard: Mumbai Indians vs. Rajasthan Royals - Apr 12, 2012
- Last two overs made the difference: Harbhajan - Oct 09, 2011
- Scoreboard: Mumbai Indians vs Rajasthan Royals, IPL - May 21, 2012
- IPL scorebaord: Mumbai Indians vs. Rajasthan Royals - Apr 29, 2011
- Mumbai Indians spin dream win in CLT20 final - Oct 10, 2011
- Gayle fashions Royal Challengers' nine-wicket win over Mumbai Indians (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- IPL: Lucky Super Kings take on upbeat Mumbai Indians Wednesday - May 23, 2012
- Mumbai Indians beat Royal Challengers, enter IPL final (Lead) - Apr 22, 2010
- Mumbai Indians restrict Pune Warriors to 129/9 - Apr 06, 2012
- Malinga carries Mumbai to shock win over Super Kinga - Sep 25, 2011
- Mumbai Indians edge out Pune Warriors by one run (Lead) - May 04, 2012
Tags: four wickets, harbhajan singh, impetus, ipl, johan botha, kieron, mumbai, munaf patel, pollard, premier league, rahul dravid, real game, royals, skipper, sri lankan, talented kids, target, wankhede stadium, wicket, youngsters