Malik confident of staying as Pakistan captainSeptember 2nd, 2008 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Sep 2 (IANS) With speculations rife that he might be sacked as captain, Pakistan skipper Shoaib Malik Tuesday countered the charges of team’s poor performance under him.Malik gave the example of inaugural World Twenty20 championship last year where Pakistan reached the final.
“We did well in that (World Twenty20) tournament and remember Pakistan also won 12 consecutive one-dayers with me as captain earlier this year,” Shoaib said Tuesday.
Shoaib’s captaincy is under threat following the exit of Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Nasim Ashraf. The vacant post of PCB chief is likely to be filled in a week or so and it is anticipated that sweeping changes would be made in the cricket set-up.
Malik though is confident of staying as Pakistan captain and said that all the speculations about his sacking will slowly die down in the coming days.
“I did not tell anybody to make me captain,” Shoaib said.
“I was chosen to lead Pakistan and I have been doing the job in the best possible manner,” the all-rounder said.
However, he sounds a bit optimistic in the current scenario.
Malik was preferred over senior players to lead Pakistan after the humiliating first round exit from the 2007 World Cup. Ashraf handed the captaincy reins to Malik from Inzamam-ul-Haq, who resigned after the World Cup debacle in the Caribbean.
Ashraf resigned as PCB chairman last month, just hours after Pervez Musharraf - the Board’s chief patron — stepped down as president.
Reports in recent days have suggested that vice-captain Misbah-ul-Haq is expected to take over from Malik though senior players Younis Khan and Shahid Afridi are also in fray for captaincy.
- Delay in naming captain will hamper Pakistan's chances: Inzamam - Jan 24, 2011
- Whatmore to coach Pakistan's cricket team - Mar 03, 2012
- PCB chief leaves for New Zealand to decide on WC captain - Jan 20, 2011
- Afridi, Akmal not in new PCB contracts - Aug 08, 2011
- Pakistan announce World Cup squad without a captain - Jan 18, 2011
- Sacking Afridi was a big mistake: Akram - May 21, 2011
- Pakistan recall Kamran Akmal, Razzaq for World T20 - Jul 12, 2012
- PCB most likely to retain Afridi as Pak captain for World Cup 2011 - Feb 01, 2011
- Afridi to lead Pakistan in World Twenty20 - Mar 23, 2010
- Ready to relinquish captaincy anytime PCB wants: Misbah - Jun 19, 2011
- Butt caught in classic catch 22 situation over Younis Khan impasse - Oct 17, 2009
- Afridi's loss in NZ will be Misbah's gain in Pak WC captaincy issue: Aamir Sohail - Jan 27, 2011
- Afridi to captain at World Cup - Feb 04, 2011
- Pakistan drop Riaz over spot-fixing links - Nov 21, 2011
- Shoaib Malik not too worried about captaincy issue - Dec 16, 2008