Malhotra files nomination, declares assets worth millions (Lead)November 8th, 2008 - 5:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 8 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) chief ministerial candidate Vijay Kumar Malhotra filed his nomination Saturday for the upcoming Delhi assembly elections and declared assets worth millions of rupees. Malhotra filed his nomination papers at 12.25 p.m. at Jamnagar house on Shahjahan Road. He was accompanied by senior BJP leaders Arun Jaitley, Sushma Swaraj, Vijay Goel and Delhi BJP chief Harsh Vardhan. His family members were also with him.
Punjab chief minister Parkash Singh Badal, his son Sukhbir Singh Badal, Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) chief Om Prakash Chautala and singer Hansraj Hans were also present on the occasion.
Malhotra declared movable and immovable assets owned by him and his wife Krishna Malhotra in an affidavit with his nomination papers.
According to the affidavit, Malhotra declared his postal savings, LIC policies and NSS certificates to the tune of nearly Rs.11.2 million. His wife Krishna Malhotra has savings of nearly Rs.5 million.
Malhotra has Rs.1.9 million as deposits in bank, financial institutions and non-banking financial companies, while his wife has approximately Rs.800,000. The couple has combined cash of Rs.290,000.
Malhotra owns a property in East Nizamuddin area, which is a parental gifted property, whose current market value is Rs.10 million. His wife owns property worth Rs.15 million in Defence Colony in south Delhi.
According to the affidavit, Malhotra owns only one car, Maruti Baleno, which is worth Rs.275,000.
He has jewellery worth Rs.50,000, while his wife’s jewellery is worth Rs.1 million, the affidavit reveals. Malhotra’s wife also owns bonds, debentures and shares in companies worth Rs.33,500.
The couple has other assets worth Rs.4.43 million.
Hundreds of BJP activists carrying BJP’s flags and wearing saffron mufflers around their necks caused massive traffic snarls in and around the historic India Gate for nearly an hour, as they cheered Malhotra.
They chanted slogans like, “Delhi Ka CM Kaisa ho, Malhotra Jaisa Ho” and “BJP Zindabad”.
After the nomination process, senior BJP leaders expressed their faith in Malhotra and said they were confident of winning the assembly elections scheduled Nov 29.
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.250 crore (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Top Punjab leaders are worth Rs.200 crore - Jan 12, 2012
- Buddhadeb has no house, vehicle, just Rs.5,000 cash - Apr 05, 2011
- Trinamool's Amit Mitra, wife worth Rs.7 crore - Apr 07, 2011
- Pranab's son, daughter-in-law own assets worth Rs.5 crore - Apr 06, 2011
- Indian ministers grow richer with average assets of Rs.10 crore - Sep 15, 2011
- Karunanidhi, wives declare Rs.43 crore assets; Jayalalithaa's are Rs.64 crore - Mar 24, 2011
- Stalin files nomination, owns assets worth over Rs.1 crore - Mar 21, 2011
- Rich politician Jagan has Rs.365 crore assets - Apr 15, 2011
- Yeddyurappa declares assets worth several crores - Feb 06, 2011
- Mayawati added Rs.23.64 crore to her wealth in two years - Mar 13, 2012
- Prime Minister's key ministers and their assets - Sep 03, 2011
- Tamil Nadu Congress chief, wife file nominations for same seat - Mar 28, 2011
- BJP's Delhi chief ministerial candidate files nomination - Nov 08, 2008
- Not bought assets after becoming chief minister: Jayalalithaa - Sep 05, 2011