Males are good at sniffing out infidelitiesOctober 30th, 2008 - 1:06 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 30 (IANS) Straying women beware. The male is particularly good at sniffing out your infidelities, even though you may have fine-tuned the art of concealing your liasons. “Eighty percent of women’s inferences about fidelity or infidelity were correct, but men were even better, accurate 94 per cent of the time,” said Paul Andrews at Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, who conducted the study with colleagues.
They were also more likely to catch out a cheating partner, detecting 75 per cent of the reported infidelities compared with 41 per cent discovered by women However, men were also more likely to suspect infidelity when there was none.
Andrews said this makes evolutionary sense because unlike women, men can never be certain a baby is theirs. “Men have far more at stake,” he said. “When a female partner is unfaithful, a man may himself lose the opportunity to reproduce, and find himself investing his resources in raising the offspring of another man.”
Andrews suggested that women have countered this by becoming better at covering up affairs. Complex statistical analysis of the data hinted that a further 10 per cent of the women in the study had cheated on top of the 18.5 per cent who admitted to it in the questionnaires, whereas the men had been honest about their philandering.
“This adds to the evidence that men have evolved defences to detect their partner’s infidelity,” said David Buss at the University of Texas, Austin. It demonstrates a “fascinating cognitive bias that leads men to err on the side of caution by overestimating a partner’s infidelity,” he added, reports New Scientist.
Andrews and colleagues gave 203 young heterosexual couples confidential questionnaires asking them whether they had ever strayed, and whether they suspected or knew their partner had strayed. In this, 29 per cent of men said they had cheated, compared with 18.5 per cent of women.
These findings were highlighted in Human Nature.
- Men better than women at detecting infidelities - Oct 30, 2008
- Women more likely to cheat than men, reveals survey - Dec 31, 2010
- 'Country folk in UK likelier to cheat on partners than city counterparts' - Mar 28, 2011
- Your voice can tell if you are likely to stray - Mar 06, 2011
- Men who believe in love at first sight three times more likely to cheat - Apr 21, 2010
- Men 'more likely to continue dating girlfriends who cheat with women' - Jan 28, 2011
- Men don't mind girlfriends sleeping with other women - Jan 28, 2011
- High esteem prompts powerful women to stray - Apr 28, 2011
- Powerful people 'likelier to cheat', irrespective of gender! - Apr 28, 2011
- Want to know if your mate will cheat? Listen to their voice - Mar 05, 2011
- 'Thank You' a funny take on extra-marital affairs (IANS Preview) - Apr 04, 2011
- A third of all Brit men have cheated on their partners - Mar 28, 2010
- Women more likely to cheat on their partners than men - Sep 02, 2009
- Tiger Woods voted worst love rat of the century - Oct 04, 2010
- Rural people in Britain more likely to cheat on partners - Mar 29, 2011