Malegaon blasts accused seek bailJanuary 17th, 2011 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 17 (IANS) All the nine accused in the 2006 Malegaon blasts Monday moved a special court seeking bail following the confession of arrested Hindutva leader Swami Aseemanand indicating involvement of right-wing Hindu groups in the case. They have spent four years in jail.In their bail application before a Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) special court, the accused have claimed that it is clear that those responsible for the 2006 Malegaon blasts are persons far removed from the (current) accused.
They pointed out that although there is no direct evidence of their involvement in the offence and based on forced confessionals, they have spent four years in jail.
Swami Aseemanand, nabbed last November for his alleged involvement in the Mecca Masjid blasts of 2007, had said in a confession last month about the involvement of a Hindu rightist group in the Malegaon 2006 blasts.
The Sep 8, 2006 blasts killed 37 people and injured at least 100 others when three explosions went off in quick succession after the Friday afternoon prayers near the Bada Kabrastan in the minority dominated powerloom town.
Finally, the police nabbed nine people as accused in the crime - Salman Farsi, Shabir Ahmed, Noorulhuda Doha, Rais Ahmed, Mohammed Ali, Asif Khan, Javed Sheikh, Dr Faroogue Ansari and Abrar Ahmed, and three months later, the case was taken over by the Central Bureau of Investigation.
Acting on an application by the CBI, the MCOCA court last week directed the agency to re-investigate the case.
Monday’s bail application hearing will come up for further hearing Jan 28.
- Court gives bail to nine in 2006 Malegaon blasts case - Nov 05, 2011
- Seven Malegaon blasts accused post bonds, out on bail - Nov 16, 2011
- NIA not to oppose bail of Malegaon blast accused: Chidambaram - Oct 31, 2011
- Malegaon blast accused again apply for bail - Oct 01, 2011
- 2006 Malegaon blasts case: MCOCA court adjourns hearing till Feb. 7 - Jan 28, 2011
- CBI opposes bail plea of nine accused in 2006 Malegaon blasts - Jan 28, 2011
- CBI receives Malegaon re-investigation nod - Jan 14, 2011
- Malegaon blasts: CBI submits Aseemanand's statement to court - Feb 17, 2011
- Judicial custody of Samjhauta blast accused Aseemanand extended till May 2 - Apr 30, 2011
- Samjhauta blast accused Aseemanand claims innocence - Apr 22, 2011
- RSS' Aseemanand charged for Mecca Masjid blast (Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Mecca Masjid blast accused sent to judicial custody - Jan 18, 2012
- High court grants bail to two Malegaon blast accused - Aug 03, 2011
- Samjhauta blast: Aseemanand sent to judicial custody till Jan. 27 - Jan 13, 2011
- RSS admits links with Samjhauta blast accused Aseemanand - Feb 02, 2011
Tags: abrar, ansari, asif khan, cbi, central bureau of investigation, confession, crime act, direct evidence, doha, friday afternoon, hindu groups, jan 28, javed sheikh, last november, malegaon blasts, mecca, mecca masjid, mohammed ali, shabir, swami