Maldonado tops second practice at wet HockenheimJuly 20th, 2012 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
Hockenheim (Germany), July 20 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Williams’ Pastor Maldonado was Friday fastest in a wet second practice for the Formula One German Grand Prix which ended early when seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher rammed into a wall.
With rivers of water on the Hockenheim track throughout the session, Maldonado’s fastest time of 1 minute 27.476 seconds was 11 seconds slower than Jenson Button’s chart-topping time from Friday’s first session, set on a dry track.
Nico Rosberg of Mercedes was second-fastest, just 0.088 seconds slower than Maldonado, while last year’s champion Sebastian Vettel was 0.338 seconds further back in his Red Bull.
The session was cut short with less than five minutes remaining when Schumacher spun his Mercedes at a hairpin in the stadium section.
The German was unhurt, but his car sustained severe damage.
Sauber’s Sergio Perez continued an impressive Friday after coming fifth-fastest in the first session, and his time of 1 minute 28.402 seconds was good enough for fourth in second practice.
The McLaren pair of Button and Lewis Hamilton was first and second in the first practice, but were down the time charts in the second session, with Button eighth and Hamilton 19th.
Bruno Senna was able to take part for Williams despite test driver Valtteri Bottas crashing his car in the first session, and the Brazilian was 16th-fastest.
Caterham’s Vitaly Petrov posted the 21st-quickest time, four places behind teammate Heikki Kovalainen, and one adrift of championship leader Fernando Alonso.
- Button fastest in rain-hit German Grand Prix first practice - Jul 20, 2012
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012
- Hamilton leads McLaren resurgence - Jul 27, 2012
- Massa tops practice two of Indian GP, Sutil 7th - Oct 28, 2011
- Hamilton charges to pole in Hungarian GP - Jul 28, 2012
- Button races to 1st pole for McLaren in Belgium - Sep 01, 2012
- Rosberg sets pace in second practice at Bahrain GP - Apr 20, 2012
- Button faces tough F-1 defence as Alonso sets early race pace - Feb 04, 2010
- Hamilton bags pole in Australia - Mar 17, 2012
- Hamilton fastest in Chinese GP first practice - Apr 13, 2012
- Alonso fastest in Belgian Grand Prix practice - Aug 27, 2010
- Chinese GP: Rosberg takes maiden F1 pole, Force India out of top-10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Sutil fastest in opening practice session at Hockenheim - Jul 23, 2010
- Untouchable Vettel wins Indian GP - Oct 30, 2011
- Vettel takes pole for Indian GP, Karthikeyan penalised - Oct 29, 2011
Tags: bruno senna, champion michael schumacher, championship leader, fastest time, fernando alonso, german grand prix, hockenheim, jenson button, kovalainen, lewis hamilton, pastor maldonado, ria novosti, rosberg, sebastian vettel, second session, sergio perez, test driver, time charts, time world champion, vitaly petrov