Malaysian police seize ketamine believed to be from IndiaOctober 14th, 2008 - 11:30 am ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, Oct 14 (DPA) Malaysian airport police have seized 29 kg of ketamine worth 1.15 million ringgit ($350,000) believed to have come from India, news reports said Tuesday.Customs officers at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport Sunday discovered the ketamine powder, an anaesthetic that has become popular as a party drug, stored in two black plastic bags and hidden inside a steel container resembling an air conditioning unit during a random search.
A 47-year-old local man was detained, customs deputy director general Mardina Alwi was quoted as saying by the New Straits Times newspaper.
The suspect had arrived at the airport from Hyderabad, India, she said.
Earlier this month, an Indian national was arrested at the airport for attempting to smuggle in ketamine worth 1.4 million ringgit that was hidden inside a water heater, the report said.
“Our investigations showed that many cases involving ketamine were from India,” Mardina said.
She said customs police would work with Indian authorities on the smuggling case, adding that the suspect has been remanded for questioning.
Malaysia’s tough drug laws prescribe a mandatory death sentence by hanging for those found guilty of smuggling most types of drugs.
- Indian caught with drugs in Malaysia - Jul 23, 2010
- Drugs hidden with Indian prayer ash seized in Malaysia - Jan 05, 2010
- Malaysian police nab Indian man after finding drugs in TV set - Mar 19, 2009
- Three Indians held with drugs in Malaysia - Dec 10, 2009
- Indian national sentenced to death in Malaysia - Jan 04, 2011
- Two Indians held in Malaysia with drugs - Aug 10, 2010
- Indian faces death penalty in Malaysia for drug smuggling - Sep 13, 2008
- Indian detained in Malaysia, drugs seized - Jul 07, 2009
- Malaysia detains Indian man for drug trafficking - Mar 21, 2009
- Indian held with huge amount of ketamine in Malaysia - May 06, 2009
- Six foreigners held in Malaysian drug bust - Nov 21, 2011
- Two arrested in Jaipur, 100 kg of banned drug seized - Aug 10, 2012
- Chennai cops bust drug-smuggling attempt at airport - May 14, 2010
- Two Indians freed from death row in Malaysia - Aug 07, 2012
- Malaysian customs seizes drugs hidden in computers - Mar 17, 2009