Malaysian PM’s wife visits Sikh orphanageApril 22nd, 2008 - 2:33 pm ICT by admin
Kuala Lumpur, April 22 (IANS) There was much excitement among the children of Gurpuri Foundation, an orphanage of Malaysia’s Sikh community, when they received Jeanne Abdullah, wife of Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi. Over 40 kids welcomed Jeanne when she visited the foster home Monday to celebrate Baisakhi, the harvest festival that falls April 13.
Jeanne, who is also president of the Association of Wives of Ministers and Deputy Ministers (Bakti), donated RM 20,000 ($9,900) and distributed gift hampers on behalf of the association.
This was the fifth time Bakti has visited Gurpuri during Baisakhi.
“We have been donating generously for the betterment of the children,” Jeanne said at the orphanage.
The foundation is a home for the underprivileged, orphaned and neglected Sikh children.
Its principal Giani Sukhdaiv Singh said he was grateful to Bakti for the donations, The Star newspaper reported Tuesday.
“With such contributions, we have managed to give shelter, food, clothing and most importantly education to these children.”
Since its inception in 2000, 20 children have completed their education and are working in various fields. There are an estimated 100,000 Sikhs in Malaysia.
- Sole Malay Sikh orphanage gets RM 40, 000 grant - Apr 29, 2009
- Paris Hilton visits orphans in Bali - Nov 18, 2011
- Hazare celebrates 75th birthday with underprivileged kids - Jun 15, 2012
- UAE charity group launches iftar project in Pakistan - Jul 23, 2012
- Tamil Actor Karthik Celebrates Birthday With Under Privileged - May 27, 2010
- Peaceful Eid prayers held across Kashmir - Nov 07, 2011
- Malaysian Govt. compiles book to help Indian community - Dec 18, 2010
- Australian Sikhs celebrate Baisakhi in Sydney - Apr 17, 2011
- Abdullahs host glitterati in aid of Kashmir's children - Apr 25, 2010
- Fun-filled Children's Day for Mumbai kids - Nov 14, 2011
- Channel funds to Tamil schools, not NGOs, says Malay parent body - Jan 18, 2010
- Hyderabad to host biggest corporate cycling event - Jan 23, 2012
- Marc Anthony supports charity for orphans - Aug 11, 2012
- Orphans crave motherly affection on Mother's Day in Bodh Gaya - May 10, 2009
- Najib Razak is new Malaysian PM - Apr 03, 2009