Malaysian Indian youth groups seek education fundsMay 12th, 2008 - 2:49 pm ICT by admin
Kuala Lumpur, May 12 (IANS) A coalition of Indian youth groups is asking the Malaysian government to fund their social education programmes that would help curb unrest in the community. The coalition, headed by the Malaysian Indian Youth Council (MIYC), will be submitting its requests to the government through Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC) president S. Samy Vellu within the next two weeks.
MIC vice-president S. Veerasingam said the MIYC, together with other Indian-based groups, held a seminar Sunday where issues pertaining to education, employment, social problems and the economic status of Indians were discussed, The Star newspaper reported Monday.
Veerasingam, speaking at a Hindu New Year carnival in Brickfields, said the group wanted Tamil schools to become fully-aided government schools - a move that would necessitate the various state governments to allocate land for building the schools.
“They also spoke about the need for providing proper places of worship, especially where new developments are coming up.
“Promises and pledges made during the election campaigns should also be carried out,” he said.
- Indian youth groups in Malaysia seek funds for education - May 12, 2008
- MIC to submit proposals for inclusion of Indian community's issues in 10th Malaysia Plan - Mar 23, 2010
- Malaysian Indian Congress to have new leader after 31 years - Dec 03, 2010
- Malaysian Indian Congress chief to be business envoy - Nov 22, 2010
- Vellu may be Malaysia's special envoy to India - Dec 07, 2010
- Malaysian Indian leader restrained from registering members - Mar 08, 2011
- Book row: Malaysian government to talk to MIC leaders - Jan 25, 2011
- Malaysian Indian Congress has new secretary general - Feb 18, 2011
- Revolt against Malaysian Indian Congress president - May 23, 2010
- MIC President names deputy Palanivel as his successor - May 27, 2010
- G. Palanivel named new Malaysian Indian Congress Chief - Dec 06, 2010
- Samy Vellu appointed Malaysia's special envoy to India - Dec 13, 2010
- No crisis in Malaysian Indian Congress, leaders tell PM - May 24, 2010
- Malaysian Indian leader to seek more business ties in India - Jan 03, 2011
- Samy Vellu to begin special envoy duties with India visit this week - Jan 03, 2011