Malaysian Indian to be valedictory speaker at US UniversityJune 29th, 2008 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, June 29 (IANS) Malaysian Indian Dashini Jeyathuria, 24, has been selected for delivering the valedictory address at the University of Minnesota in the US. Jeyathuria has been selected from out of 30 bright students to speak on “Disorienting Dilemmas: Getting an Education”, Bernama, the state-run Malaysian news agency reported.
The New Straits Times newspaper noted Sunday that like many Asians doing well in the American educational world, she follows the achievement of Indian child prodigy13-year-old Sameer Mishra, who “stunned the American nation by winning the 2008 Scripps National Spelling Bee competition in Washington”.
“I was the only Malaysian out of six students granted scholarships,” she said in an interview.
She arrived in the United States in 2004 to pursue an undergraduate course in English and Women’s Studies at the Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota.
In June, she graduated with a summa-cum-laude distinction which is awarded to students who graduate with a 3.90 score and above.
She has received accolades at Carleton, including the Mortar Board Fund Prize, Niles Prize in Medieval and Renaissance Studies and the Noyes Prize which is awarded to distinguished scholars from the junior class.
This year, she won the Scott Tyler Bergner Prize for demonstrating excellence in character and thought, and the Andrea Iseminger Endowed Scholarship which enabled her to study theatre and empire literature in London.
She is planning to study for her PhD in English and Women’s Studies at the University of Michigan, the report said.
- 4 Indian Americans named Rhodes Scholars - Nov 22, 2010
- Indian researcher gets $10,000 Commonwealth scholarship - Jul 28, 2011
- Pakistani scholarships for 600 Afghan students - Jul 01, 2012
- Hindus laud Canada's Carleton University for program in Religion & Public Life - Aug 30, 2010
- Empowering girls around world with an Indian scholarship - Sep 09, 2010
- Six Indian Americans named 2012 Rhodes scholars - Nov 26, 2011
- Mozambique selects students to study in India - Nov 16, 2011
- New Zealand-bound students offered Rs.10 mn scholarships - Jun 03, 2010
- India offers scholarships to Malaysians - Jan 18, 2011
- Seven Indians awarded Australian scholarship (Lead) - Sep 21, 2010
- Medical Scholarships FAQs - Dec 08, 2010
- Two Jamia girl students get scholarships - Apr 29, 2011
- Malaysians to graduate in Indian classical music - Jun 07, 2010
- Peyton Manning makes donation to scholarship fund - Feb 20, 2012
- Malaysia gets its first Imam via 'X-Factor' inspired reality show - Jul 31, 2010