Malaysian Indian politician dies fighting robbersJanuary 13th, 2009 - 12:45 pm ICT by IANS
Ipoh (Malaysia), Jan 13 (IANS) An ethnic Indian politician and Hindu community leader was killed while fighting off six machete-wielding robbers who broke into his home. N. Sidambaram, 64, was divisional treasurer of Ipoh Barat unit of the Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC) in Perak state, The Star newspaper reported Tuesday.
He died of excessive blood loss, said police official Azisman Alias.
“Judging from the slash wounds on his arms, he had put up a fight in the bedroom,” the official said.
The robbers made off with the couple’s Proton Waja car, a handphone, jewellery and other valuables, The Star newspaper reported.
Sidambaram was also the chairman of the Ipoh Hindu Devasthana Paripalana Sabah, which manages the Sri Maha Mariamman temple in Jalan Sungai Pari and the Sri Subramaniar Temple in Gunung Cheroh here.
- Malay-Indians begin silver chariot procession - Jan 19, 2011
- Indian temple becomes first solar-powered edifice in Malaysia - Aug 03, 2010
- Malay Govt. urged to recognise Thaipusam as a national festival - Jan 25, 2010
- Alternative sites provided for relocation of two Malay Hindu temples - Aug 17, 2009
- Malay Indians express outrage over sale of slippers bearing Hindu deity impressions - Feb 12, 2011
- Tourists ignore media reports about possible terrorist attack in - Jun 20, 2010
- Indian community will get its due, says Malaysian leader - Feb 08, 2009
- 79.5-kms-long Ganesha Chathurthi convoy sets record in Malaysia - Aug 24, 2009
- Hindu temple in Malaysia adopts school - Mar 03, 2010
- Malaysia's oldest Hindu temple portrayed on stamp for the first time - Aug 23, 2010
- Find ways to increase population, Indians urged in Malaysia - Jul 06, 2010
- Hindus to move temple in Malaysian suburb - Jan 13, 2010
- Religious groups in Malaysia asked to find ways to increase Indian population - Jul 06, 2010
- Perak Indians'' interests would be taken care of, says Minister - Feb 09, 2009
- Malaysian PM launches Malay Indian Vellu's 'tell-all' biography - Dec 12, 2010
Tags: alias, blood loss, community leader, hindu community, indian politician, jewellery, malaysian indian congress, mic, perak state, police official, proton waja, robbers, sabah, sri maha mariamman, sri maha mariamman temple, wounds