Malaysian Indian minister appeals against being unseatedSeptember 12th, 2008 - 1:51 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, Sep 12 (IANS) Malaysian Indian minister Joseph Kurup has filed an appeal in the Federal Court challenging a High Court decision declaring his victory in the Pensiangan parliamentary constituency null and void.The deputy rural and regional development minister’s appeal, filed by counsel Alexander Decena, seeks to maintain his uncontested win in the parliamentary election in March and reverse the Election Court’s decision on Monday.
Kurup said he hoped the Federal Court would consider the grounds his lawyers had set forth in the appeal.
The High Court decision followed a petition filed to nullify Kurup’s victory by the opposition Parti Keadilan Rakyat candidate Danny Anthony Andipai, who was disqualified on grounds that he had submitted his nomination papers late on Feb 24.
In his decision, judge David Wong Dak Wah held that returning officer Bubudan O.T. Majalu had erred in overturning the state Election Commission deputy director’s decision to accept Andipai’s nomination papers.
Majalu had also rejected the nomination papers of two others, the New Straits Times said Friday.
The judge had also ruled that the objections against Andipai’s nomination papers were invalid as wrong objection forms were used, the objector’s signature was missing, there were several authors to the objection forms and there were no written records as to when Bubudan received the objections.
The Election Court’s decision can be appealed in the Federal Court as per Malaysian Constitution, which has to dispose of the case within 60 days of the appeal being filed.
- Poll panel rejects Sangma's plea against Pranab (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Dhaka lawmaker may be unseated for conviction - Jul 15, 2010
- Purno Sangma to file election petition Tuesday - Aug 18, 2012
- Sangma challenges Mukherjee's election - Aug 21, 2012
- Court strikes down Maharashtra caste panels - May 04, 2012
- PPP nominates Shahabuddin for prime minister's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Sangma challenges Pranab's election in apex court (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Dalmiya has a challenger in Samar Pal for top CAB post - Jul 21, 2012
- Pranab survives Sangma googly; BJP waves 'fabricated' letter (Intro Roundup) (With Image) - Jul 03, 2012
- Tamil Nadu legislator's election quashed on polling day - Apr 13, 2011
- Gangster allowed to file poll papers from jail - Jan 18, 2012
- BJP dissociates itself from Sangma's petition plan (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sangma to file election petition Tuesday (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Sangma's plea rejected, Mukherjee's nomination accepted (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Pranab survives Sangma googly; BJP waves 'fabricated' letter (Roundup) (With images) - Jul 03, 2012