Malaysian Indian gets jail for killing loverJuly 15th, 2008 - 12:49 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, July 15 (IANS) An ethnic Indian has been sentenced to 12 years in jail by a Malaysian court for killing his live-in partner during a verbal fight that turned violent when he accused her of having an affair. Ally Malar died when R. Rajeswaran threw a glass table top that hit her in the face, ending what the New Straits Times on Tuesday called “a nasty lovers’ spat”.
The high court refused to show leniency when told that Rajeswaran had himself called the ambulance to rush her to the hospital and that he had surrendered to the police.
His lawyer G. Subramniam Nair told the judge that the accused had sheltered the woman in his home along with a child, and when she was pregnant, had been regularly paying for her expenses.
Deputy public prosecutor Mohammed Azar Irwan Moh Arifin, however, pressed for a heavy sentence.
“The victim was only 26 years old. She had her whole life ahead of her. And her family members have lost a loved one. Rajeswaran’s action crossed the line,” Arifin said.
High Court judge Syed Ahmad Helmy Syed Ahmad ordered the 12-year jail term to run from the date of his arrest Aug 4, 2006, the newspaper said.
- 'Harry Potter' actress asked judge not to jail brother - Jan 22, 2011
- Court awards 10-year jail to man for killing wife - Aug 08, 2012
- British soldier jailed for rape - Mar 10, 2012
- Brother of Harry Potter actress jailed for beating her up - Jan 22, 2011
- 30-day jail for Indian student Dharun Ravi; no deportation (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Malaysian man raped underage daughter in front of mum, jailed for 80yrs - Feb 03, 2011
- Rapist exposes himself to judge in Britain - Sep 21, 2012
- Pinki alleges harassment in police custody (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Granted bail, Anca will still stay in jail - Aug 29, 2012
- Give copies of remand application to Kazmi: Court - May 25, 2012
- Israeli embassy car blast: 'Missing' documents traced - May 24, 2012
- Malaysian cabbie to serve 14-year jail term after raping underage girls - Nov 23, 2010
- US woman jailed for shooting sex tape with son - Jun 24, 2012
- Kachroo ragging case: Convicts set free before term - Aug 18, 2012
- Pinki released from jail, alleges being framed (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012