Malaysian Indian Congress plans to win back dissidentsJanuary 30th, 2009 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, Jan 30 (IANS) The Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC) is planning a homecoming for its dissidents prior to the party’s presidential election in March, a media report said. K.P. Samy, a former MIC central working committee member whose branch was closed in January last year for supporting the Hindu Rights Action Force (Hindraf), has been reinstated in the party.
MIC president S. Samy Vellu said he had approved K.P. Samy’s appeal to re-enter the party.
He would also reinstate, in stages, others who had been sacked, New Straits Times said Friday.
In another development, M. Muthu Palaniappan, who was sacked for bad-mouthing Samy Vellu in the run-up to the MIC presidential election, has been given a reprieve.
In an unexpected twist to the controversy, the party central working committee Thursday quashed the disciplinary board’s decision to expel Palaniappan.
Palaniappan, when contacted by the New Straits Times, said he would “continue with his campaign to unseat Samy Vellu”, the newspaper said.
It is learnt that Samy Vellu had earlier told the committee that they should let Palaniappan off with a warning and give him a chance to contest the presidential election.
Palaniappan, who announced his decision to take on Samy Vellu in the coming presidential elections towards the end of last year, was given a show-cause letter Dec 23 by the MIC disciplinary committee over allegations that he had made media statements detrimental to the party and Samy Vellu.
- Malay Indian leader Palanivel figuring out ways to accept sacked members - Jan 04, 2011
- Revolt against Malaysian Indian Congress president - May 23, 2010
- Revolt against Malaysian Indian Congress President strengthens - May 22, 2010
- Bickering in Malaysian Indian Congress draws mixed response - Jan 26, 2009
- No crisis in Malaysian Indian Congress, leaders tell PM - May 24, 2010
- Malaysian Indian Congress expels two CWC members - May 25, 2010
- K.P Samy gives ultimatum to MIC President S. Samy Vellu to unite Indians - Jun 23, 2010
- Two Malaysian Indian Congress leaders sacked - May 25, 2010
- G. Palanivel named new Malaysian Indian Congress Chief - Dec 06, 2010
- Malaysian Indian Congress chief to be business envoy - Nov 22, 2010
- Malaysian PM launches Malay Indian Vellu's 'tell-all' biography - Dec 12, 2010
- Malaysian Indian Congress president Vellu says he's 'invincible' - Jul 05, 2010
- Malaysian-Indian Congress President Vellu hits out at critics, sacks opposers - May 31, 2010
- Malaysian Indian Congress leader says former deputy will face disciplinary action - Sep 09, 2009
- Malaysian Indian Congress delegate suspended over slipper garland for ex-PM - Sep 16, 2009