Malaysia, India to sign labour pact soonMay 23rd, 2008 - 3:08 pm ICT by admin
Kuala Lumpur, May 23 (IANS) Malaysia and India are set to sign a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on the recruitment of Indian workers in that country, it was announced here at the end of a visit by Indian Minister for Communication and Technology A. Raja. The MoU has been cleared by India and is awaiting a final nod from the Malaysian cabinet, Malaysia’s Human Resources Minister S. Subramaniam said here Thursday.
Malaysia would soon appoint a labour attache at the Malaysian High Commission office in Chennai to look into the recruitment of workers, Subramaniam was quoted as saying by Malaysia’s Nanban newspaper Friday.
The minister said he had assured India that its citizens would be treated well and given the same rights as other workers. The agreement would benefit mostly unskilled and semi-skilled Indian workers.
A large number of Indian IT techies also work in Malaysia, which is heavily dependent on foreign workers to boost various sectors of its economy.
Subramaniam said a collaboration would be established between Malaysia’s skills development centres and leading technical and skills training institutes in India to train Indian workers who head to his country.
With this arrangement, he added that Malaysia would be able to source only skilled workers from India, The Star newspaper reported.
- Malaysian govt. approves 45,000 foreign worker slots for Indian business community - Feb 28, 2011
- MoU on Indian workers to be inked soon - May 23, 2008
- Malaysia allows entry of 45,000 foreign workers - Mar 01, 2011
- Don't look for excuses to hire foreigners, Malaysian PM tells bosses - May 09, 2010
- India, Malaysia to sign MoU for welfare of workers - Dec 29, 2008
- India, Malaysia ink six pacts to take bilateral ties forward (Part-I) - Oct 27, 2010
- Malaysia, India to sign pact on workers - Oct 15, 2008
- India, Malaysia to expedite deals for improving economic ties - May 03, 2011
- India, US to cooperate on labour issues - Feb 03, 2012
- India, UAE sign manpower agreement - Sep 13, 2011
- India, Singapore sign military training deal - Jul 11, 2012
- Malay Indian leader says Tamil schools will not be closed - Aug 17, 2010
- India sets up cultural centre in Malaysia - Feb 12, 2010
- India, Malaysia to sign MoU to protect workers - Jun 17, 2008
- Sri Lanka, Kuwait to sign MoU for migrant workers - Mar 29, 2012