Malayalam channel Jai Hind launches Gulf operationsJune 13th, 2008 - 4:57 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, June 13 (IANS) Jai Hind TV, a Malayalam channel backed by the Congress party, has launched its Gulf operations to cater to the large expatriate Malayali population across the region. India’s Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi lit the ceremonial lamp at a glittering function Wednesday night to inaugurate the channel’s Gulf operations.
Among those present were Kerala’s leader of the opposition Oomen Chandy, state Congress president Ramesh Chennithala, and stars of Malayali filmdom such as Srinivasan, Dilip and Gopika.
Prominent Gulf-based Keralites like this year’s Padma Shri recipient Yusuffali M.A., well-known entrepreneur B.R. Shetty, and educationist Sunny Virkey, were also present.
A cultural show that included a performance by Bollywood artiste Vasundhara Das entertained the audience.
Jai Hind TV was launched in August 2007 and the launch of its Gulf operations is part of its global expansion move.
A large chunk of the 5.5 million expatriate Indians in West Asia hail from Kerala.
- Kerala-born Yusuffali making waves in Gulf - Apr 23, 2012
- Congress-backed TV channel to be launched in Middle East - Jun 10, 2008
- Asianet to launch dedicated channel for Middle East - Mar 24, 2010
- UAE keen to open consulate in Kerala - Jul 18, 2011
- Mammootty wins 'Actor of the Decade' - Aug 17, 2009
- Involve NRKs in Kerala's development: Vayalar Ravi - Feb 12, 2011
- Pranab confident of smooth CWG - Sep 27, 2010
- Popular Kerala singer detained, freed by Saudi police - Feb 11, 2012
- Cochin to host next annual Indian diaspora meet - Jun 19, 2012
- Kerala to have five more TV channels - Aug 29, 2010
- Chandy blames Air India for high fares to Middle East - Oct 03, 2011
- Surveys predict UDF win in Kerala - May 10, 2011
- Skill academy to boost Kerala's MSME sector - Sep 14, 2012
- God's own country to get own airline - Sep 08, 2012
- Al Jazeera English now available on Tata Sky too - Apr 26, 2012