Maken apologises to 1960 football heroes for shabby treatmentApril 14th, 2011 - 10:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 14 (IANS) Sports minister Ajay Maken Thursday apologised to the 1960 Olympic football heroes as some of the former players had to pay for dinner after their felicitation here Wednesday.
“I apologise to the football team members who had to pay for their food after the ceremony,” said Maken.
Some of the former footballers, who had stayed back Wednesday night after the felicitation, experienced shabby treatment at the Vishwa Yuva Kendra (VYK) where the ministry had put them up. Officials at the VYK, which is also under the ministry of sports and youth affairs, asked the footballers to pay for their dinner.
Injeti Srinivas, joint secretary (sports), said that the problem took place due to lack of communication.
“There were some problems due to lack of co-ordination. The officials at the Yuva Kendra were not aware that they were not charge anything from some of the former footballers, who stayed back. It was sorted out and we apologised to them as well,” said Srinivas.
- Sports ministry not keen on foreign hockey coach - Apr 15, 2011
- Maken gives HI, IHF a blueprint for merger - Jun 11, 2011
- Sports minister calls HI-IHF meeting July 25 - Jul 20, 2011
- Anand felicitated by Bengal with sweets, cash and memento - Jul 13, 2012
- Kalmadi and Malhotra attack Maken, minister retaliates (Roundup) - Jul 14, 2012
- Maken flays BCCI for resisting RTI law - Aug 31, 2011
- Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium to be developed into football hub - Apr 14, 2011
- Maken to stick to Gill's tenure and age guidelines - Jan 20, 2011
- Sports ministry to CGOC: Give interest-free loan to weightlifting body - Aug 24, 2010
- Manipur youth train to acquire vocational skills - Apr 12, 2011
- Maken doles out Rs.1.5 lakh to each player from government scheme - Sep 14, 2011
- Omar says politicians exploiting Kashmiri youth - Oct 18, 2011
- Sports Ministry asks CWG Organising Committee to grant Rs 1.75 crore to IWLF - Aug 24, 2010
- Aiyar hits back at Maken - Sep 09, 2011
- Weightlifting federation lashes out at ministry, IOA - Aug 20, 2010
Tags: ajay maken, apologises, april 14, felicitation, football heroes, football team, footballers, New Delhi, olympic football, ordination, shabby treatment, Sports, team members, vishwa, wednesday night, youth affairs