Make women feel safe in Delhi: Ambika SoniDecember 13th, 2010 - 2:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 13 (IANS) Following yet another rape in the national capital, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni Monday said that rising crimes against women was a “serious issue” and stressed on the importance of making them feel safe in the city.”It is an extremely serious issue. The voices of women must be heard and they must feel safe,” Soni told reporters outside parliament.
An 18-year-old girl was abducted and raped in a moving vehicle by four youths, including a minor, after she protested their lewd remarks in the Sultanpuri area of northwest Delhi late Saturday. All the accused were arrested.
Soni said that while the police caught the accused in 90 minutes, but even those 90 minutes are very long when a girl is being raped. Questions are being raised over the delay in tracking them even though police were informed immediately after the abduction by the victim’s colleague.
“Each unfortunate event teaches a lesson to the police,” the minister said.
Saturday’s incident comes days after a 30-year-old BPO employee was abducted and raped by four men in south Delhi and a 22-year-old woman was abducted and raped by six men in northeast Delhi last week.
- Respect women, says Delhi government posters - Dec 15, 2010
- 18-year-old gangraped in Delhi, four held (Lead) - Dec 12, 2010
- Women's commission demands strict punishment for rapists - Dec 13, 2010
- 19-year-old gangraped in Delhi - Dec 12, 2010
- 18-year-old gangraped in Delhi, four held (Night Lead) - Dec 12, 2010
- Delhi top cop meets Girija Vyas over women's safety (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Girl gangraped in a moving car in north-west Delhi - Dec 12, 2010
- More women working has increased their vulnerability: Tirath - Dec 13, 2010
- Make Delhi safe for women: Sushma Swaraj - Dec 02, 2010
- Crime capital records five rapes in three days - Feb 28, 2012
- BPO employee rape: Rs.1 lakh reward for information on accused - Dec 01, 2010
- Fifth accused in BPO rape case arrested - Dec 07, 2010
- Northeast delegation to demand women's safety in Delhi - Dec 09, 2010
- Two nabbed in BPO employee rape case: Delhi Police - Dec 02, 2010
- Two held, one surrenders in Delhi's BPO rape case (Lead) - Dec 02, 2010
Tags: abducted, abduction, ambika soni, colleague, crimes against women, four men, lewd remarks, New Delhi, northwest, old girl, old woman, parliament, rape, safe in the city, six men, south delhi, unfortunate event, voices