Major train accidents in the last six yearsJuly 7th, 2011 - 2:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 7 (IANS) The train-bus collision that killed 31 people early Thursday at an unmanned crossing in Uttar Pradesh’s Kanshiram Nagar is the latest in a series of track tragedies. A list of the major train accidents in the last six years, most of them at unmanned crossings:
Feb 4, 2005: Fifty-two people were killed when a passenger train collided with a tractor carrying people back from a wedding in Nagpur. The crash occurred at an unmanned railway crossing leaving the tractor entangled in the train’s engine.
Dec 1, 2006: A portion of 150-year-old bridge being dismantled collapsed over a passing train in Bihar’s Bhagalpur district, killing 35 and injuring 17.
April 16, 2007: At least 11 people were killed when a train hit a minibus at an unmanned level crossing near Thirumatpur in Tamil Nadu’s Kanchipuram district. The minibus was dragged by the train for nearly a kilometre before coming to a halt.
Feb 23, 2009: Fourteen people of a wedding party died in a collision between a van and a train at an unmanned crossing in Dhangera, Orissa.
Nov 14, 2009: The Delhi-bound Mandore Express derailed with some portion of the track piercing its AC compartment, leaving seven passengers dead in Bassi town near Jaipur.
Oct 21, 2009: At least 22 people were killed when the Goa Express rammed into the Mewar Express at Banjana in Uttar Pradesh.
March 9, 2010: At least nine killed when a tractor-trolley collided with a train at an unmanned railway crossing near Uttaripura in Kanpur district.
July 19, 2010: At least 56 people killed when the Uttarbanga Express rammed into the Vananchal Express at Sainthia in West Bengal.
June 3, 2010: Five killed in a collision between a mini-bus and a train at an unmanned level crossing on the Narashimanaickenpalayam-Idigarai road in Tamil Nadu.
Sep 20, 2010: A freight train on the wrong track slammed into a stationary passenger locomotive at a railway station amid heavy rains, leaving 21 dead and 53 injured. The crash happened at the Bhaderwah rail station, Madhya Pradesh.
May 22, 2011: At least 16 people were killed when the vehicle in which they were travelling was hit by a train at an unmanned railway crossing in Bihar’s Madhubani district.
Jan 29, 2011: Two people died when the Jansadharan Express hit a tractor-trolley at an unmanned railway crossing in Bhognipur tehsil in Kanpur.
- Six killed as train rams into vehicle - Mar 09, 2010
- One killed, 15 injured in tractor-train collision - Nov 12, 2009
- Five killed in train-tractor trolley mishap - May 27, 2011
- Nine killed as train rams into tractor-tolley (Lead) - Mar 09, 2010
- 43 major train tragedies in two decades (Lead) - Jul 19, 2010
- Nine killed in UP rail accident - Mar 09, 2010
- 11 killed, 30 injured in Uttar Pradesh accident (Lead) - Jan 25, 2009
- Nine killed, 35 injured in Uttar Pradesh accident - Jan 25, 2009
- Chronology of major Indian train accidents since 2000 - Jul 30, 2012
- 4 killed in train-tractor collision - Nov 20, 2009
- Five killed, over 50 injured in three separate train accidents - Jan 02, 2010
- Four killed as oil tanker hits tractor-trolley - Oct 06, 2011
- Agra road accident claims two lives - Apr 27, 2012
- Eight devotees killed in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 15, 2010
- Three killed, 50 injured in Assam train accident (Third Lead) - Feb 03, 2012
Tags: bhagalpur district, bus collision, freight train, heavy rains, kanchipuram, kanpur, kanshiram, mewar, mini bus, minibus, old bridge, passenger locomotive, passenger train, passing train, railway crossing, railway station, tamil nadu, train accidents, train bus, west bengal