Major train accidents in the last six yearsJuly 7th, 2011 - 2:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 7 (IANS) The train-bus collision that killed 31 people early Thursday at an unmanned crossing in Uttar Pradesh’s Kanshiram Nagar is the latest in a series of track tragedies. A list of the major train accidents in the last six years, most of them at unmanned crossings:
Feb 4, 2005: Fifty-two people were killed when a passenger train collided with a tractor carrying people back from a wedding in Nagpur. The crash occurred at an unmanned railway crossing leaving the tractor entangled in the train’s engine.
Dec 1, 2006: A portion of 150-year-old bridge being dismantled collapsed over a passing train in Bihar’s Bhagalpur district, killing 35 and injuring 17.
April 16, 2007: At least 11 people were killed when a train hit a minibus at an unmanned level crossing near Thirumatpur in Tamil Nadu’s Kanchipuram district. The minibus was dragged by the train for nearly a kilometre before coming to a halt.
Feb 23, 2009: Fourteen people of a wedding party died in a collision between a van and a train at an unmanned crossing in Dhangera, Orissa.
Nov 14, 2009: The Delhi-bound Mandore Express derailed with some portion of the track piercing its AC compartment, leaving seven passengers dead in Bassi town near Jaipur.
Oct 21, 2009: At least 22 people were killed when the Goa Express rammed into the Mewar Express at Banjana in Uttar Pradesh.
March 9, 2010: At least nine killed when a tractor-trolley collided with a train at an unmanned railway crossing near Uttaripura in Kanpur district.
July 19, 2010: At least 56 people killed when the Uttarbanga Express rammed into the Vananchal Express at Sainthia in West Bengal.
June 3, 2010: Five killed in a collision between a mini-bus and a train at an unmanned level crossing on the Narashimanaickenpalayam-Idigarai road in Tamil Nadu.
Sep 20, 2010: A freight train on the wrong track slammed into a stationary passenger locomotive at a railway station amid heavy rains, leaving 21 dead and 53 injured. The crash happened at the Bhaderwah rail station, Madhya Pradesh.
May 22, 2011: At least 16 people were killed when the vehicle in which they were travelling was hit by a train at an unmanned railway crossing in Bihar’s Madhubani district.
Jan 29, 2011: Two people died when the Jansadharan Express hit a tractor-trolley at an unmanned railway crossing in Bhognipur tehsil in Kanpur.
- Six killed as train rams into vehicle - Mar 09, 2010
- One killed, 15 injured in tractor-train collision - Nov 12, 2009
- Five killed in train-tractor trolley mishap - May 27, 2011
- Nine killed as train rams into tractor-tolley (Lead) - Mar 09, 2010
- 43 major train tragedies in two decades (Lead) - Jul 19, 2010
- Nine killed in UP rail accident - Mar 09, 2010
- 11 killed, 30 injured in Uttar Pradesh accident (Lead) - Jan 25, 2009
- Nine killed, 35 injured in Uttar Pradesh accident - Jan 25, 2009
- Chronology of major Indian train accidents since 2000 - Jul 30, 2012
- 4 killed in train-tractor collision - Nov 20, 2009
- Five killed, over 50 injured in three separate train accidents - Jan 02, 2010
- Four killed as oil tanker hits tractor-trolley - Oct 06, 2011
- Agra road accident claims two lives - Apr 27, 2012
- Eight devotees killed in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 15, 2010
- Three killed, 50 injured in Assam train accident (Third Lead) - Feb 03, 2012