Major oil theft busted in Uttar PradeshNovember 2nd, 2008 - 3:38 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 2 (IANS) A major theft from the pipeline of the state-owned Indian Oil Corp. has been detected in the Mirzapur district of Uttar Pradesh, police said Sunday.However, no arrests have been made so far. Company officials and police suspect involvement of an engineer or technical person in the theft.
“The computer sensors of the Indian Oil detected a major leakage between Allahabad and Mirzapur. It appears to be the handiwork of some technical (person) as there was no spillage near the spot despite the fact that oil flows at a very high speed in the pipeline,” Mirzapur superintendent of police Pretinder Singh told IANS by phone.
He said company officials, who accompanied the police in the operation, claim that if an unskilled person tries to drill a hole in the pipeline, the pressure in the pipeline will spray the oil up to a height of nearly 30 feet.
“After the initial inspection, we suspect that the procedure took place about four days ago and Indian Oil officials suspect that over three tankers of diesel has been stolen,” he said.
Villagers of Mirzapur had noticed a jeep standing near the spot during the past few days. An inter-state gang could also be involved in the incident, Singh said.
“It was after a complaint that we unearthed the automated-computerised set up that was being used to steal oil in the Toswa village on the outskirts of the district,” he said.
The pipeline starts from the refinery in Barauni (Bihar) and ends at Mathura supplying petrol, diesel and kerosene to a large number of depots along the 750-km stretch.
- Blast in oil pipeline averted in Assam - May 14, 2012
- ONGC yet to cap gas leak at its Tripura well - Jun 17, 2011
- Bangladeshi airman finds cash missing in Lucknow - Aug 29, 2012
- Oil leak in Haldia-Paradip pipeline in Orissa - Nov 17, 2009
- Three of a family shot dead in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 25, 2011
- Suspected Maoists torch gram panchayat in Maharashtra - May 16, 2012
- Fire near oil pipeline in Haryana doused - Aug 08, 2010
- Five oil tankers of goods train derailed in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 11, 2010
- Fuel thieves cause pipeline fire in Mexico - Apr 02, 2012
- Woman killed as lightning strikes UP village - Aug 31, 2012
- Gujarat robbery cracked in Nepal - Jun 09, 2010
- No arrests yet in MMS-linked Punjab double murder - Jan 14, 2012
- Another officer on duty roughed up in Maharashtra (Lead) - Jan 28, 2011
- Another officer on duty roughed up in Maharashtra - Jan 28, 2011
- Cop's body found on rail tracks in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 07, 2011