Major hooch tragedies in IndiaDecember 15th, 2011 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
More than 120 people were killed in a West Bengal village after consuming illicit liquor Tuesday night. Following are major hooch tragedies in India in the past few years:
December 2011 - 121 people, mostly rickshaw-pullers, labourers and hawkers, were killed in Sangrampur village in South 24 Parganas district. Over 100 victims are still in hospitals.
October 2010 - At least 12 people were killed and nearly 15 fell ill after consuming spurious country liquor in Kaalwan village in Punjab’s Hoshiarpur district.
March 2010 - At least 35 people died after consuming spurious liquor in Ghaziabad and Bulandshahr districts of Uttar Pradesh in pre- and post-Holi celebrations.
September 2010 - The toll in hooch tragedy in Kerala’s Malappuram district was 23.
February 2010 - At least 13 people died after drinking moonshine in Uttar Pradesh’s Varanasi district. taking the toll to 13.
January 2010 - 14 people died in East Godavari district of coastal Andhra Pradesh.
March 2009 - 12 people died due to hooch at Brahmpuri Colony in Sagarpur of South West Delhi.
July 2009 - Major hooch tragedy in Ahmedabad in Gujarat claimed 136 lives.
January 2009 - 27 people died in Kolkata after consuming poisonous country-made liquor at Khidirpore port area in south-west Kolkata.
September 2009 - The death toll from hooch was 29 in Uttar Pradesh.
May 2008 - The death toll in hooch tragedy in Karnataka was 180.
March 2006 - The death toll in Orissa liquor tragedy stood at 22. The deaths and illnesses were reported mainly from the five hamlets of Badahuma, Khajuria Pali, Sana Ramachandrapur, Madshurchuan and Baunsiapada in Ganjam district, about 130 km from Bhubaneswar.
October 2001 - Illicit liquor killed 18 people in Nithari village in Uttar Pradesh’s Noida.
- Punjab hooch deaths rise to 18 - Oct 29, 2010
- Hooch kills 12 in Punjab, two held (Third Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Hooch toll rises to 24 in NCR districts (Lead) - Mar 03, 2010
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 156 - Dec 16, 2011
- 12 die in Punjab hooch tragedy (Second Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 167 (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh hooch tragedy toll 9, prime accused held - Sep 09, 2010
- WB Congress demands CBI probe in Hooch tragedy - Dec 17, 2011
- Hooch toll rises to 35 in NCR districts - Mar 04, 2010
- Illicit liquor kills four in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 27, 2011
- Toll in Andhra hooch tragedy rises to 18 - Jan 02, 2012
- Glass of death at Rs.10! - Dec 15, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 148 (Second Intro Roundup, correcting figure in headline) - Dec 16, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 143 (Intro Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Moonshine kills 63 in Bengal village - Dec 15, 2011
Tags: bengal village, bhubaneswar, country liquor, east godavari, ghaziabad, godavari district, hawkers, holi, holi celebrations, hooch tragedy, hoshiarpur district, illicit liquor, labourers, malappuram, noida, rickshaw pullers, spurious liquor, varanasi district, west bengal, west delhi