Major cyclones, hurricanes in the last decadeMay 6th, 2008 - 9:45 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 6 (IANS) Tropical cyclone Nargis has taken the lives of nearly 22,000 people in Myanmar and several thousands are still missing. Following is a list of major cyclones and hurricanes that caused damage to both life and property in the last ten years. Cyclone Nargis: It made a landfall in Myanmar Friday and has already killed nearly 22,000 people. The military-ruled country was hit by the storm with wind speed of nearly 172 km per hour.
Cyclone Sidr: The storm that originated from the Bay of Bengal and was expected to hit India’s east coast left the country untouched only to lash south and southeastern Bangladesh.
The cyclone killed nearly 4,000 in November 2007. Besides, thousands of houses were smashed and many fishermen who went to sea never returned.
Hurricane Katrina: In August 2005, Hurricane Katrina made landfall on the Gulf coast of the US and killed 1,300 people.
Cyclone Jeanne: In September 2004, tropical Cyclone Jeanne blew apart Haiti, leaving more than 3,000 dead.
Orissa Super Cyclone: In October 1999, a super cyclone lashed the eastern Indian state of Orissa. Over 10,000 people were killed in the storm with a wind speed of nearly 300 km per hour. Several thousands cattle also lost their lives.
Approximately 1.5 million people were rendered homeless.
Hurricane Mitch: In October 1998, Hurricane Mitch swept through central American countries of Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala and Belize. The cyclone killed over 18,000 people.
- Tropical Storm Katia forms in the far eastern Atlantic, set to become major hurricane - Aug 30, 2011
- Bobby Jindal skips Republican convention as storm looms - Aug 28, 2012
- Hurricane Katia strengthens into a major category four hurricane - Sep 06, 2011
- Category four hurricane Hilary could threaten Baja California - Sep 24, 2011
- Bermuda on alert as Hurricane Leslie approaches - Sep 07, 2012
- Over 850,000 evacuated due to China storms - Aug 05, 2012
- Four killed as Tropical Storm Agatha, first of the Eastern Pacific season, closes in on Guatemala - May 30, 2010
- Hurricane Irene weakens slightly as it marches toward North Carolina - Aug 26, 2011
- Hurricane Darby becomes category three storm off Mexico's southern coast - Jun 25, 2010
- More than 800,000 without power as Hurricane Irene slams Puerto Rico - Aug 22, 2011
- Insured losses in the Carolinas estimated between $200-$400 million - Aug 28, 2011
- Tropical depression forms in the far eastern Atlantic, may threaten the Caribbean - Aug 29, 2011
- Hurricane Jova to strike Mexico soon - Oct 11, 2011
- Tropical Storm Aletta forms far off Mexico's Pacific coast, no threat - May 15, 2012
- Tropical Depression Nine forms in the Atlantic, expected to strengthen - Sep 01, 2010