Main provisions of food bill (To go with ‘Will food bill force government to eat humble pie’)December 18th, 2011 - 4:47 pm ICT by IANS
Main provisions of the National Food Security Bill:
- The draft bill seeks to cover 75 percent of the rural population and 50 percent of urban households and proposes the right to 7 kg foodgrain per person, at Rs.3 per kg for rice, Rs.2 per kg for wheat and Rs.1 per kg for coarse grains.
- The general category will be provided at least 3 kg foodgrain per person per month at half the minimum support price (MSP).
- The bill provides a three-tier grievance redressal mechanism at district, state and national level.
- Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar is concerned that food subsidy, currently at Rs.63,000 crore ($12 billion), may go up to Rs.1.2 lakh crore ($23 billion).
- It is estimated that against the current grain procurement levels of 54-55 million tonnes, the requirement may go up to 62 million tonnes.
- Government foodgrain stocks in August 2011 were 61.27 million tonnes.
- Cabinet clears food bill (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Will Sonia Gandhi's food bill pass muster? - Dec 18, 2011
- Will Sonia Gandhi's Food Bill past muster? (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Cabinet clears pathbreaking food bill (Roundup) - Dec 19, 2011
- Landmark food security bill tabled in parliament (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Cabinet nod to food bill likely Tuesday - Dec 12, 2011
- Food bill to address cost-sharing concern of states - Nov 21, 2011
- Government seeks public comments on draft food security bill - Sep 14, 2011
- Cabinet defers food bill as discussions inconclusive (Second Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- Rethink food security bill: Pawar - Oct 19, 2011
- Cabinet to take up food bill - Dec 18, 2011
- Government reviews food security bill - Feb 29, 2012
- Centre, states to discuss food bill (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Minister hopeful of passing food bill in budget session - Dec 22, 2011
- Cabinet meet likely Sunday on Lokpal, food security bills (Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
Tags: agriculture minister, coarse grains, draft bill, food bill, food subsidy, grain procurement, grievance, humble pie, kg, minimum support price, national food security, population, provisions, rs 1, rs 2, security bill, sharad pawar, stocks, urban households, wheat