Maid torture case: No shield against arrest for employersApril 3rd, 2012 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 3 (IANS) A Delhi court Tuesday dismissed the anticipatory bail plea of a doctor and his wife who flew to Thailand for a vacation last month after allegedly locking up a 13-year-old maid in their house in west Delhi and with very little food.
“The anticipatory bail plea is dismissed,” said Additional District Judge I.S. Mehta.
Sanjay Verma and his wife Sumita, both doctors, locked their minor help and left for Thailand March 25. They are still abroad.
Their anticipatory bail was filed by their counsel.
The locked maid was rescued March 30 after neighbours heard her screams.
Ashok Kumar Singh, appearing for NGO Shaktivahini, opposed the anticipatory bail application of the maid’s employers.
Police have lodged a first information report against the couple under the Juvenile Justice Act, Bonded Labour System (Abolition) Act, Child Labour Prohibition and Regulation Act and the Indian Penal Code.
The couple is facing charges of employing a 13-year old and physically and mentally torturing her.
- Maid torture: Doctor couple's police custody extended - Apr 06, 2012
- Maid torture: Doctor couple arrested in Delhi (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- Maid torture: Doctor couple arrested in Delhi (Second Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- Maid torture: Doctor's wife gets bail (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Maid torture: Doctor couple sent to judicial custody - Apr 09, 2012
- Ex-army officer gets 10 years jail for torturing son - Aug 04, 2012
- 7-year-old servant girl rescued in Delhi - Apr 07, 2011
- Kanda moves Delhi High Court for anticipatory bail (Second Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Kanda moves Delhi High Court for anticipatory bail - Aug 13, 2012
- Court denies anticipatory bail to Kanda (Second lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Cash-for-votes: Bail for Kulkarni, five others (Second Lead) - Nov 16, 2011
- Court rejects bail to accused in Mahi death case - Jun 29, 2012
- 2G case: Notice to CBI on Balwa's plea (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Kanda moves Delhi High Court for anticipatory bail (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Kanda's anticipatory bail plea decision Friday - Aug 16, 2012