Maid commits suicide in GhaziabadJune 23rd, 2009 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, June 23 (IANS) A sixteen-year-old maid, hired only last week, allegedly committed suicide by jumping off her employee’s ninth-floor apartment in Ghaziabad Tuesday, police said.
The girl, Pratima Singh, working in the household of HDFC bank manager Sulabh Srivastava, jumped off the ninth-floor apartment in Mahagun Mosaic in Sector-4 in the town’s Vaishali area, according to Superintendent of Police (City) Rahul Yaduvendu.
Pratima had her dinner around 9 p.m. Monday after which she went to her room in the flat to sleep. When the family woke up around 7 a.m Tuesday, they found her missing. When they opened the balcony of her room, they found Pratima lying on the ground.
The girl is suspected to have committed suicide between 5 and 7 a.m. “The exact cause of her suicide is not known. We are talking to the employers and the girl’s family,” Yaduvendu said, adding no suicide note has been found.
Pratima was hired by the Srivastavas through a Delhi-based placement agency - Metro Jobs Consultant - and began work last Tuesday. Srivastava’s family has just three members - him, his wife and their three-year-old son.
Pratima was from Kultala village in South 24-Parganas district of West Bengal. Her father Soren Singh works at his small farm-holding in the state while her mother works in New Delhi. They had come to the national capital to earn enough to sustain the family, a family source said.
Pratima was the youngest of three siblings and had studied to class nine. Her elder sister is married, while her elder brother is a farmer.
- Autopsy confirms rape of 16-year-old domestic help - Jun 24, 2009
- Gurgaon domestic help jumps to death - May 14, 2012
- Engineering girl student commits suicide - May 21, 2012
- Spurned lover kills four, self - Sep 03, 2012
- Maid jumps to death in Gurgaon, employers booked - May 14, 2012
- Woman survives ninth-floor fall - Aug 16, 2010
- Mumbai woman jumps off 19th floor with two kids - Mar 08, 2011
- Non-resident Indian woman jumps to death from 14th floor - Dec 18, 2011
- Two cases of suicide in Gurgaon - May 02, 2012
- Mother poisons daughters, self - Nov 08, 2011
- Woman jumps to death in Gurgaon - Jun 06, 2012
- Abducted toddler rescued; maid arrested (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- US man's 9th floor suicide bid lands him in pile of uncollected rubbish - Jan 04, 2011
- Woman jumps from Gurgaon high rise, dies - May 07, 2012
- Spurned lover kills four, self (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012