Mahesh wins British Junior Open squash titleJanuary 7th, 2009 - 4:33 pm ICT by IANS
Sheffield, Jan 7 (IANS) Mahesh Mangaonkar became the third Indian boy to win the British Junior Open squash title after he defeated Oliver Holland from England in four games. Two other Indian finalists, Kush Kumar and Dipika Pallikal, lost. In the past, Anil Nayar and Saurav Ghosal had won the Drysdale Cup (Boys under 19 title) while Mahesh became the first Indian to win the boys under-15 category.
Mahesh played a terrific game, and though he dropped the third set to his English opponent, he managed to get back and emerge the champion.
Aggressive shots to the front were his forte and Oliver did not have an answer to his shots, making errors frequently.
Kush Kumar, on the other hand, ended his dream run in the tournament as the runner-up to Amr Aboul Souad from Egypt in the boys under-13 section. But his stroke play and tactics on court left almost everyone in awe.
Kush had the match in his grasp when he was leading 2-1 in games and 7-3 in the fourth. But it was not to be. Kush got defensive and seemed to be under pressure.
There was no looking back for Souad as he raced to a 5-2 lead in the decider and although Kush clawed his way back, it was too late.
Dipika went down in the girls under-19 final against Wee Wern Low from Malaysia. Wee was consistent and frustrated Dipika with her tight length. Dipika pulled back in the third game but was unable to hold on in the fourth, going down in 42 minutes.
Results (all finals):
Boys Under-15: Mahesh Mangaonkar bt Oliver Holland (Eng) 11-5, 7-11, 11-5, 12-10 (40m).
Boys Under-13: Kush Kumar lost to Amr Aboul Souad (Egy) 7-11, 11-7, 11-9, 9-11, 7-11 (41m)
Girls Under-19: Dipika Pallikal lost to Wee Wern Low (Mal) 2-11, 8-11, 11-8, 8-11 (42m).
- Squash: Anaka, Kush annex Asian titles - Jun 24, 2012
- Asian Games squash: Joshna, Dipika go down fighting in quarters - Nov 19, 2010
- Egypt beat India in squash World Cup final - Feb 05, 2012
- Kush upsets Alsaraj for junior squash title - Sep 10, 2011
- Asian Squash: Indian teams in semi-finals - May 04, 2012
- India boys beat Pakistan, grab maiden Asian Junior Squash - Jan 30, 2011
- Indian excels in Asian junior squash - Jun 23, 2011
- Junior squash: India clinch bronze - Jul 18, 2012
- Mahesh, Anaka in finals of Indian Open squash - Sep 09, 2011
- Asian Games squash: India assured of two medals in team event - Nov 23, 2010
- Joshna, Dipika in quarter-finals of Asian squash championship - May 01, 2010
- India suffer second defeat in Squash World Cup - Mar 09, 2011
- Three Indians in British Open junior squash semis - Jan 05, 2009
- Ravi, Dipika champs in Asian Junior Squash - Jul 11, 2010
- Tandon, Mangaonkar in last eight of world junior squash - Jul 15, 2011