Mahatma’s grandson to attend Dalai Lama’s birthday bashJuly 4th, 2011 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
Dharamsala, July 4 (IANS) Mahatma Gandhi’s grandson Arun Gandhi and Martin Luther King III, son of late American civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr. are among the dignitaries scheduled to attend Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama’s 76th birthday celebrations in the US Wednesday, an official said.
“Arun Gandhi and Martin Luther King III will grace the occasion to mark the birthday of His Holiness in Washington on July 6,” Tenzin Taklha, joint secretary at the Dalai Lama’s office, told IANS Monday.
He said the Nobel laureate Monday morning left on a 13-day visit to the US, where he will conduct the Kalachakra ceremony for world peace.
He said the spiritual guru will participate in birthday celebrations that include prayer meetings and a short discourse.
“Similar functions will also be held here (in Dharamsala),” he added.
Taklha said the Dalai Lama’s visit is totally religious and “there is no scheduled programme to meet US officials there”.
Born on July 6, 1935, at Taktser hamlet in northeastern Tibet, the Dalai Lama was recognised at the age of two as the reincarnation of the 13th Dalai Lama Thubten Gyatso.
He fled Tibet after a failed uprising against Chinese rule in 1959, basing his Tibetan government-in-exile here that never won recognition from any country.
He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989 for his non-violent campaign for democracy and freedom in his homeland. Ever since he fled to India, he has spent his time in exile pushing for autonomy for Tibet.
India is home to around 100,000 Tibetans.
- Dalai Lama will live to be 113 - Jul 06, 2011
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2012
- Prayers, sapling plantations mark Dalai Lama's birthday - Jul 06, 2011
- On Dalai Lama's birthday, prayers for his long life - Jul 06, 2011
- Reincarnation is my personal right: Dalai Lama - Sep 23, 2011
- Exiles celebrate Dalai Lama's birthday (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- At 76, Dalai Lama remains hopeful on Tibet - Jul 05, 2011
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Will decide on successor when I am 90: Dalai Lama - Sep 24, 2011
- Prayers in Delhi for Dalai Lama's birthday - Jul 06, 2010
- Dalai Lama's message read in Tibetan parliament-in-exile - Mar 14, 2011
- Sushmita calls on Dalai Lama - Mar 28, 2011
- Prayers mark Dalai Lama's birthday in Karnataka - Jul 06, 2010
- Dalai Lama's 75th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala - Jul 06, 2010
- Have gone through turbulence all my life: Dalai Lama - Dec 03, 2011
Tags: 13th dalai lama, american civil rights, arun gandhi, birthday celebrations, chinese rule, dalai lama, mahatma gandhi, martin luther king, martin luther king iii, martin luther king jr, nobel laureate, nobel peace prize, northeastern tibet, prayer meetings, spiritual guru, thubten, tibetan government in exile, tibetan spiritual leader, violent campaign, world peace