Maharashtra’s senior citizens seek policy for elderlySeptember 7th, 2010 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 7 (IANS) Pointing out that the central government declared the National Policy for Older Persons in 1999 but the state government has not declared its policy as yet, a delegation of senior citizens Tuesday urged the governor of Maharashtra to declare the state policy.
The delegation, under the the banner of Federation of Senior Citizens’ Organisations, Tuesday met the Governor of Maharashtra K. Sankaranarayanan.
“There are 95 lakh (9.5 million) senior citizens in Maharashtra - of whom 66 percent are poor. Nearly 90 percent do not have social or health security and over 20 percent are lonely and susceptible to threat from criminals,” said President of the Federation Shankar Kinjwadekar.
“There have been growing incidents of violence and harassment of elderly people and the act would safeguard the affected,” he added.
The delegation demanded that the government form a state council of senior citizens for effective coordination on the problems of senior citizens.
“There has to be full implementation of the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, setting up of day care centres for the elderly and improvement in the conditions of old age homes in the state,” Kinjwadekar said.
The governor assured the delegation that he would take up the issues with Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan.
- Maharashtra in an era of exciting industrial growth: Chavan - Jan 10, 2012
- Maharashtra plans low-cost houses for Mumbai mill workers - May 01, 2012
- Maharashtra opposition members meet governor - Aug 12, 2011
- Sankaranarayanan to be sworn-in for second term as Maharashtra governor - May 05, 2012
- Threat of water crisis in Maharashtra: Governor - May 04, 2012
- Maharashtra drought: Governor's help sought - Apr 20, 2012
- Don't bequeath your life's savings to children: Maharashtra governor - Feb 20, 2011
- Maharashtra CM rushes Delhi to seek central aid - May 08, 2012
- BJP national executive meeting to be kept 'simple' - May 18, 2012
- Maharashtra celebrates 51st anniversary (Lead) - May 01, 2011
- Make disputed areas a union territory, says Maharashtra - Jul 13, 2010
- Sankaranarayanan sworn in as Maharashtra governor for second term - May 07, 2012
- Opposition parties to meet governor for Chavan's sack - Oct 31, 2010
- Prosecute Deshmukh, Shinde for Adarsh scam, demands BJP - Feb 11, 2011
- Ahead of polls, largesse for Maharashtra's urban flat buyers - Jan 03, 2012
Tags: 5 million, ashok, central government, chavan, chief minister, coordination, criminals, day care centres, delegation, governor of maharashtra, harassment, health security, implementation, mumbai, parents, sankaranarayanan, senior citizens, state government, violence, welfare