Maharashtra offers Tatas red carpet for Nano plantAugust 23rd, 2008 - 3:07 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 23 (IANS) Maharashtra is ready to offer ‘red carpet’ treatment to the Tata Group if it wants to shift to the state its plant to manufacture Nano, the much-awaited Rs.100,000 family car, Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh said Saturday.In a hurriedly convened media briefing at his residence Varsha Saturday morning, Deshmukh pointed out that the Tatas were facing problems at their plant in Singur, West Bengal, from where the Nano was expected to roll out.
Friday, an angry Tata Group chairman Ratan Tata had threatened to withdraw operations from West Bengal in view of the ongoing political agitation against the plant there.
Tata’s threat evoked strong reactions from the corporate world on political interference that affects industrial projects in different parts of India.
“If Tatas want, they can set up operations in Maharashtra. We shall offer them all facilities, including land anywhere they require - Pune, Nashik, Aurangabad or any other place of their choice,” Deshmukh asserted.
The chief minister pointed out that the Tatas already have several of its group operations in Maharashtra and their headquarters are also located in Mumbai, so the state could be a natural choice that they could consider.
Tata Motors, the company making the Nano, is planning to unveil its new Indica model at a special launch here Sunday night.
- Ratan Tata force behind group's international foray - Nov 24, 2011
- Maharashtra awaiting Tata reaction on Nano project offer (Lead) - Aug 23, 2008
- Some day Tata Motors will have plant in Bengal: Ratan Tata (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Tata compliments Mamata, she says thanks - Dec 15, 2011
- Some day Tata Motors will have plant in Bengal: Ratan Tata - Aug 31, 2012
- First Nano from Gujarat unit rolls out Wednesday - Jun 02, 2010
- Ratan Tata regrets the company could not do Singur project - Aug 23, 2010
- Investment in Bengal only if there is no hostility: Tata - Aug 30, 2011
- West Bengal moves apex court on Singur land law - Aug 07, 2012
- Deshmukh invites Tata to start Nano plant in Maharashtra - Oct 04, 2008
- Narender Modi inaugurates new manufacturing plant of Nano in Gujarat - Jun 02, 2010
- Tata to locate aerospace, defence projects in Hyderabad - Nov 07, 2010
- An emotional Ratan Tata says goodbye to shareholders - Aug 31, 2012
- Nano's Sanand plant goes on stream (Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- Nano was born out of a doodle by Ratan Tata - Oct 14, 2010