Maharashtra, Mumbai get new police chiefsFebruary 29th, 2008 - 8:59 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, Feb 29 (IANS) The Maharashtra government Friday named A.N. Roy as its new state police chief while Hasan Khaja Gafoor will take over as the new Mumbai police commissioner. Presently an additional director-general of police, Gafoor will be the second Muslim to be the Mumbai police commissioner.
Both Gafoor and Roy assumed their respective charges Friday evening.
Gaffoor told IANS that he felt “honoured and humbled by the responsibility entrusted” and would spell out his priorities for the city shortly.
An Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of the 1974 batch, Gafoor has served as held several sensitive postings in the past including that of security chief of Air India. Gafoor takes charges from outgoing city police chief D.N. Jhadav.
Meanwhile, former Mumbai police commissioner A.N. Roy has been elevated as the state director general of police (DGP), succeeding P.S. Pasricha, who has been superannuated.
Both Jadhav and Pasricha were granted three-month service extensions post-retirement by the government that was struck down as illegal by the Bombay High Court.
- D. Sivanandan is new Maharashtra top cop (Second Lead) - May 31, 2010
- Sivanandan is new Maharashtra police chief (Lead) - May 31, 2010
- Former Mumbai police commissioner Hasan Gafoor dead (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Gafoor to head Maharashtra's anti-corruption bureau - Feb 26, 2010
- AN Roy selected new Maharashtra police chief - Jan 22, 2010
- Amarinder attacks Akalis over Punjab police chief - Jul 09, 2011
- 26/11 Mumbai police chief dead - Mar 12, 2012
- Dinesh Reddy Andhra's new police chief - Jun 30, 2011
- New Maharashtra, Mumbai police chiefs announced - Feb 28, 2011
- Andhra gets new police chief - Aug 31, 2010
- Maharashtra to purchase bullet-proof equipment for police - May 18, 2010
- D. Shivanandan to be Mumbai Police chief - Jun 13, 2009
- Notices to 8 IPS officers over missing bullet-proof jacket files - Jan 01, 2010
- Three Punjab DGPs transferred - Mar 16, 2012
- Poll panel orders watch on former Punjab cop's activities - Nov 13, 2011