Maharashtra legislature session postponed for third timeDecember 8th, 2008 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 8 (IANS) The winter session of the Maharashtra legislature, scheduled to start Dec 11 at Nagpur, has been postponed to Dec 15, ruling party sources said.While the decision has been taken by the government in consultation with the leaders of opposition, the new date will be formally ratified and announced by the legislature’s business advisory committee here Wednesday, they said.
The postponement, third in a row, has been done to allow enough time to the state administration for preparations after the swearing-in of the reconstituted cabinet Monday.
The legislature’s annual winter session in Nagpur, the second capital of Maharashtra, necessitates shifting of virtually the entire administrative machinery from Mumbai.
The first postponement from the originally scheduled Nov 17 to Dec 1 came early November since leaders of all major parties had to participate in the assembly election campaigns in five states, including neighbouring Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh.
The session was postponed again in the wake of the Nov 26 terrorist strike in Mumbai.
The delay in the choice of new leaders in place of former chief minister Vilasrao Deshmukh and deputy chief minister R.R. Patil, who resigned in the aftermath of the terrorist strike, and their oath-taking forced the third postponement.
New Chief Minister Ashok Chavan hinted at the possibility of the session postponement in New Delhi Sunday after his meeting with central Congress leaders to discuss the composition of his team.
The winter session, whose duration is almost invariably curtailed from three weeks to two, is likely to be even shorter this time, observers say.
- President to open Maharashtra assembly platinum jubilee - Oct 17, 2011
- Maharashtra media to protest at Chavan's tea party - Dec 08, 2011
- Chavan, ministers visit ailing Deshmukh - Aug 08, 2012
- Mumbai cop offers rose to Raj Thackeray, attacks police chief - Aug 21, 2012
- Chavan demands land for Ambedkar memorial - Dec 20, 2011
- Farmers suicides, Ambedkar memorial set to rock Maharashtra house - Dec 11, 2011
- Maharashtra government staff strike hits work - Nov 15, 2011
- Swearing in of Maharashtra ministers postponed to Friday - Nov 18, 2010
- Chavan welcomes Kasab verdict (Lead) - May 06, 2010
- 26/11 report review panel inactive: Maharashtra opposition leader - Nov 25, 2010
- 13/7, scribe's murder set to rock Maharashtra assembly - Jul 24, 2011
- Maharashtra leaders condole Deshmukh's death (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Maharashtra journalists protest attacks - Dec 15, 2011
- Chavan plans monthly review of Vidarbha development work - Nov 20, 2010
- Fortuitous bonhomie likely in Maharashtra legislature session (Curtain raiser) - Dec 14, 2008