Maharashtra legislature pays homage to blast victims

July 25th, 2011 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS  

Mumbai, July 25 (IANS) The Maharastra government will take all measures to ensure that incidents like the July 13 serial blasts do not recur anywhere in the state, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan assured the people Monday as the legislature paid homage to the 24 who have died so far.

The government is committed to bringing the perpetrator of the bombings and terror forces behind these to book, he said.

“We will give them the severest punishment and ensure that such terror attacks are not repeated,” a grim Chavan said, offering condolences to the victims’ families and solace to those injured in the blasts at the business hubs of Opera House, Zaveri Bazar and Dadar west.

He expressed his strong condemnation of the blasts which targeted the country’s financial capital and attempted to create fear and insecurity among the people of the city.

The Maharashtra legislative assembly, which started its monsoon session Monday, observed a two-minute silence in the memory of the blasts victims. Eighteen people were killed on the spot and 131 were injured.

Earlier, Speaker Dilip Walse-Patil accepted Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse’s demand to set aside the question hour and instead take up the condolence motion for the blast victims.

Noting how the people of Mumbai stood united during the moment of tragedy and rose commendably to help the needy in those critical days, Khadse requested the government to initiate all measures to ensure the victims and the survivors were extended monetary and other forms of assistance as may be required.

–Indo-Asian New Service
qn/vd/vt

Related Stories

Posted in Uncategorized |

Subscribe