Maharashtra doctor couple in police custody till June 30June 18th, 2012 - 7:08 pm ICT by IANS
Beed (Maharashtra), June 18 (IANS) A doctor couple suspected to be involved in culpable homicide and female foeticide in Beed district was Monday remanded to police custody till June 30 by a Maharashtra court, an official said.
Doctors Sudam and Saraswati Munde, who ran a hospital in Parli town, were booked in connection with the death of a 30-year-old woman during an abortion at their hospital in May.
The two surrendered before police late Sunday evening. They surrendered after being on the run for around a month.
A magistrate court remanded them to police custody till June 30, an official from Parli Police Station told IANS.
The couple was absconding after Beed resident Vijaymala Patekar, who had come to their hospital for an abortion, died while under their care.
The couple was accused of carrying out abortion on sugarcane worker Patekar, who was in her second trimester, at their hospital May 18, which resulted in her death.
They were also booked in 2010 for running an illegal sex determination and abortion racket.
On May 19, the couple secured bail from a Parli court.
The bail was later cancelled by a court on a petition by the district health department in connection with the 2010 case under the Pre-conception and Pre-natal Diagnostic Techniques Act.
Beed is a district in central Maharashtra located around 450 km from Mumbai.
- Charges filed against Maharashtra doctor couple - Sep 12, 2012
- Female foeticide: Maharashtra doctor in police custody - Jun 03, 2012
- Maharashtra moots murder charge for female foeticide - Jul 10, 2012
- Jundal sent to police custody in Nashik attack plot - Sep 11, 2012
- Abu Jundal sent to judicial custody till Sep 24 - Sep 10, 2012
- Rs.60 lakh looted from bank car in Maharashtra - Oct 13, 2010
- Had Kanda sexually exploited Geetika? - Aug 18, 2012
- Bring terror suspect Hamza to Mumbai: Court (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Abu Jindal's mother says he is innocent - Jun 28, 2012
- Jundal to be questioned in arms haul case - Aug 13, 2012
- Police custody of six AMRI Hospital directors extended - Dec 20, 2011
- AMRI case: Directors' police custody extended by 3 days (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- GNLA chief sent to 14 days judicial custody - Aug 26, 2012
- Activists slam device claiming to curb female foeticide - Dec 15, 2011
- AMRI directors denied bail - Dec 23, 2011
Tags: abortion, beed, culpable homicide, diagnostic techniques, district health department, doctor couple, doctors, female foeticide, illegal sex, magistrate court, munde, old woman, petition, police custody, police station, saraswati, second trimester, sex determination, sudam, sunday evening