Maharashtra chief minister meets Sonia Gandhi, PM (Lead)December 12th, 2008 - 10:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 12 (IANS) Five days after taking over as the Maharashtra chief minister, Ashok Chavan met Congress president Sonia Gandhi here Friday during which security issues were discussed.According to sources in the Congress party, Defence Minister A.K. Antony and senior Congress leader Ahmed Patel were also present at the meeting.
Earlier, Chavan met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and informed him of the various steps being taken to fight terrorism, including setting up of a State Security Council on the lines of the National Security Council, training of personnel, and police reforms which a Group of Ministers under the chairmanship of the Maharashtra chief minister would oversee.
Chavan was sworn in Maharashtra chief minister on Dec 8 with Chhagan Bhujbal of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) as his deputy and 38 ministers.
He was named the new leader of the Democratic Front alliance on Dec 6 to succeed Vilasrao Deshmukh, who had to step down in the wake of the Mumbai terror attacks. Bhujbal was appointed in place of R.R. Patil, who had also quit on the same issue.
- Prithviraj Chavan sworn in Maharashtra chief minister (Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Ajit Pawar to be new Maharashtra deputy chief minister (Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Chavan, ministers visit ailing Deshmukh - Aug 08, 2012
- 15 leaders have been Maharashtra chief minister in 50 years - Nov 11, 2010
- Jostling for cabinet berths in Mumbai ahead of swearing-in - Nov 11, 2010
- Ajit Pawar is Maharashtra deputy chief minister (Second Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Maharashtra leaders condole Deshmukh's death (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Swearing in of Maharashtra ministers postponed to Friday - Nov 18, 2010
- Ajit Pawar will be Maharashtra deputy chief minister - Nov 10, 2010
- State cabinet ministers swearing-in Thursday - Nov 17, 2010
- Maharashtra Congress leaders meet Anthony, discuss seat sharing - Sep 15, 2009
- Congress, NCP to hold seat-sharing talks Tuesday - Sep 15, 2009
- Chhagan Bhujbal gets Dy.CMs chair in Maharashtra - Dec 05, 2008
- ACB to probe graft allegations against Bhujbal - Sep 18, 2012
- Chavan takes oath as Maharashtra chief minister - Dec 08, 2008