Magsaysay winner Neelima Mishra granted US visaOctober 3rd, 2011 - 1:47 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 3 (IANS) Four days after rejecting her application, the US consulate here Monday granted a US visa to Neelima Mishra, one of this year’s Magsaysay Award winners, her father said.
“Neelima was called to the consulate again Monday with a fresh application. It has been accepted and she has been granted the US visa,” her father Chandrashekhar Mishra told IANS. Neelima called up her father and conveyed the news to the family.
Mishra said Neelima and her whole family is thrilled that her credentials have been recognised at the international level after her years of dedicated social service.
She had applied for an online visa last week and was called for an interview last Friday. However, her application was rejected, ostensibly on the ground that she was not financially well-off and could not support herself financially in the US.
Neelima has been invited by the Chicago-based group, India Development Coalition of America, to deliver the keynote address at their upcoming convention next month.
“Now she plans to leave here on the night of Oct 12 for the function scheduled Oct 15-16, and plans her return Oct 19,” Mishra said.
Last month, Mishra had gone to the Philippines to receive the Magsaysay Award for social work.
In 2007, eminent social worker from Maharashtra Prakash Amte’s US visa application had been similarly rejected.
“The grounds cited for me was that I am economically backward and hence not eligible to support myself in the US, so the visa was rejected,” Amte, who was conferred a Magsaysay Award in 2009, had told IANS.
“Following a media uproar, I was granted the US visa within 24 hours, and it was sent to my home,” Amte said.
- Magsaysay laureate Neelima Mishra denied US visa - Sep 30, 2011
- Baba Amte's widow dies - Jul 09, 2011
- Nileema Mishra to donate Magsaysay prize money - Jul 27, 2011
- Indians Harish Hande, Nileema Mishra win Magsaysay Award - Jul 27, 2011
- Honoured by Magsaysay Award: Nileema Mishra - Jul 27, 2011
- Indians Nileema Mishra, Harish Hande win Magsaysay Award (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- The men and the woman behind Team Anna - Aug 28, 2011
- Schengen visa processor VFS expands operations - Apr 18, 2012
- Indian diplomat asked to pay $1.5 mn to abused housemaid - Feb 24, 2012
- US consulate opens in suburban Mumbai - Nov 21, 2011
- Government wants curbs on maid's claim case in US (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- New visa processing system for Indians travelling to US - Sep 05, 2012
- 'Kin of political asylum seekers can visit India' - Jul 20, 2010
- US visas for Indians rise - Oct 24, 2011
- Dog Unites Shahid With Mom Neelima! - Jun 24, 2010
Tags: award winners, chandrashekhar, credentials, development coalition, group india, india development, keynote address, last friday, magsaysay award, mumbai, philippines, prakash, social work, social worker, uproar, us visa application