Magsaysay laureate Neelima Mishra denied US visaSeptember 30th, 2011 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 30 (IANS) Neelima Mishra, one of this year’s Magsaysay Awards winners, was Friday denied a visa by the US consulate here but no reasons were assigned, the laureate said.
“I had applied online for the visa earlier this week and got an interview call this morning. But my visa application has been rejected without assigning any reasons,” Mishra told IANS.
“We are not in a position to comment on individual visa application cases,” a consulate official said.
Mishra said she was invited by the Chicago-based India Development Coalition of America to deliver the keynote address at its convention next month.
“I had planned to leave here Oct 12 for the function scheduled Oct 15 and 16, and planned my return Oct 19. Now, my tour programme has to be cancelled,” she said.
US officials have given Mishra the option to resubmit her application, an aide, Vinod Sonar said, adding that Mishra is now not interested.
Mishra had gone to the Philippines last month to receive the Magsaysay Award for social work.
The US visa application noted social worker Prakash Amte, the son of legendary rughts activist Baba Amte, had been rejected in 2007.
“The grounds cited for me were that I am economically backward and hence not eligible to support myself in the US, so the visa was rejected,” Amte, who was conferred a Magsaysay Award in 2009, told IANS Friday.
“Following a media uproar, I was granted the US visa within 24 hours, and it was sent to my home,” Amte said.
- Magsaysay winner Neelima Mishra granted US visa - Oct 03, 2011
- Baba Amte's widow dies - Jul 09, 2011
- Indians Harish Hande, Nileema Mishra win Magsaysay Award - Jul 27, 2011
- Indians Nileema Mishra, Harish Hande win Magsaysay Award (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- Schengen visa processor VFS expands operations - Apr 18, 2012
- US consulate opens in suburban Mumbai - Nov 21, 2011
- Tripura CPM sees ploy behind American festival - May 02, 2012
- New visa processing system for Indians travelling to US - Sep 05, 2012
- Pakistanis win global award for film on drones - May 12, 2012
- US diplomat apologises for radio tag comment - Feb 02, 2011
- Honoured by Magsaysay Award: Nileema Mishra - Jul 27, 2011
- India takes up visa rejection issue with US - Mar 26, 2012
- Nileema Mishra to donate Magsaysay prize money - Jul 27, 2011
- NRI woes on surrendering Indian passports (NRI Watch) - Aug 07, 2011
- In social field, keep ego aside: Anna - Oct 19, 2011
Tags: activist, awards winners, development coalition, india development, keynote address, laureate, magsaysay award, mumbai, philippines, prakash, social work, social worker, uproar, us visa application