Magnitude-7 quake hits Japan (Lead)January 1st, 2012 - 7:18 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Jan 1 (IANS) An undersea quake measuring 7 on the Richter scale Sunday struck off Torishima Island in eastern Japan but there was no report of damage or casualty.
The tremor occurred around 2.20 p.m. at a depth of 370 km.
The quake poses no tsunami risk, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.
The tremor was also felt in Tokyo and in the Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures, which are still recovering from the twin disasters in March, Xinhua reported.
A magnitude-9 quake and an ensuing tsunami March 11 caused widespread damage in the region. The Fukushima nuclear power plant had to shut down due to the meltdown in three of its reactors. Over 15,000 people were killed.
- Tsunami alert issued after 7.4-magnitude quake rattles Japan (Lead) - Apr 07, 2011
- Japan issues tsunami alter after 6.8-magnitude quake - Aug 19, 2011
- Tsunami warning issued after quake hits Japan (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 10, 2011
- Japan issues tsunami alert after 7.4-magnitude quake (Second Lead) - Apr 07, 2011
- Magnitude 6.5 quake hits off coast of Japan, tsunami warning issued (Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- Strong quake jolts northeast Japan, tsunami warning lifted (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2011
- 6.4 magnitude quake jolts Japan (Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
- 6.8 magnitude quake jolts Japan (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Hundreds dead as devastating quake, tsunami hit Japan (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 12, 2011
- Japan hit by massive quake, tsunami, 200-300 killed (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong quake hits Japan - Mar 27, 2012
- Japan faces fears of n-radiation, more quakes (Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
- Fresh blast in Japan n-plant; 2,000 more bodies found (Third Lead) - Mar 14, 2011
- Japan shaken: survivors look for missing kin, n-meltdown feared (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
- Several strong quakes rocks northeastern Japan - Mar 23, 2011
Tags: casualty, disasters, eastern japan, fukushima, japan meteorological agency, magnitude 9, march 11, meltdown, miyagi, nuclear power plant, prefectures, quake, reactors, richter scale, tokyo, tremor, tsunami, tsunami risk, xinhua