Magnitude 6 quake jolts KashmirMay 15th, 2011 - 10:18 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 15 (IANS) An earthquake measuring 6.0 on the Richter scale struck Jammu and Kashmir early Sunday, just 24 hours after a 4.9 quake rocked the state.
“A moderate intensity quake struck Kashmir at 2.37 a.m. today (Sunday). Its epicentre was in the Hindukush mountain range of Afghanistan and its coordinates were 36.5 degrees north and 70.7 degrees east,” Amir Ali, incharge of the disaster management cell at the provincial headquarters here, told IANS.
No immediate report of any loss of life or property was reported.
A moderate intensity quake, measuring 4.9 on the Richter scale, had struck Kashmir Saturday around 3 a.m.
It may be mentioned that more than half a dozen earthquakes have rocked the valley during the last two months. Jammu and Kashmir is located in a highly seismic zone.
More than 40,000 people were killed in a massive quake, measuring 7.9 on the Richter scale, that rocked the Indian and Pakistan administered parts of Jammu and Kashmir in October 2005.
- Earthquake jolts Kashmir - Jul 27, 2011
- Moderate intensity quake in Kashmir Valley - Feb 04, 2012
- Moderate intensity tremors rock Kashmir (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- 5.7 magnitude earthquake in Kashmir - Mar 21, 2011
- Earthquake rocks Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 25, 2011
- Moderate intensity tremors rock Kashmir (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Moderate intensity tremor rocks Kashmir (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Moderate intensity quake rocks Kashmir - Mar 31, 2012
- Tremors rock Kashmir Valley, northwest Pakistan (Third Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- 5.6-magniude quake jolts Pakistan - Mar 21, 2011
- Two low-intensity tremors rock Kashmir Valley - Jun 04, 2012
- Moderate quake recorded in Kashmir - Apr 01, 2011
- Low intensity quake shakes Kashmir - May 10, 2012
- Mild quake hits Bengal, Bihar - Mar 28, 2012
- Moderate earthquake jolts Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 14, 2012
Tags: afghanistan, amir ali, coordinates, disaster management, earthquake, earthquakes, epicentre, half a dozen, incharge, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, last two months, magnitude, management cell, moderate intensity, provincial headquarters, quake jolts, richter scale, seismic zone, srinagar