Madras High Court suggests austerity measures to save energySeptember 10th, 2008 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 10 (IANS) The Madras High Court Wednesday suggested austerity measures to conserve electricity by eschewing political extravaganzas.The first bench of the high court comprising Chief Justice A.K. Ganguly and Ibrahim Khalifullah directed the Tamil Nadu government to implement its existing orders strictly to ensure stoppage of wasteful consumption of electricity and suggested promulgation of a fresh ordinance to enforce stringent measures.
Hearing a case filed in public interest by Vaseekaran, the court ordered the government to publicise austerity measures through the mass media.
The bench directed the government to respond within four weeks.
The petitioner alleged the power situation was worsening in Tamil Nadu due to splurging of power on political functions while unscheduled eight-hour outages in several parts of the state caused hardships to the general public.
The bench, however, took note of the government’s submission that theft of electricity was being tackled on a war footing.
- Pakistani CM joins protests against federal government - May 11, 2012
- With new judge, Supreme Court has 26 judges - Apr 02, 2012
- Court allows Tamil Nadu's bull taming sport with riders (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Jayalalithaa slams Coast Guard call for curbs on fishing - Nov 26, 2011
- Apex court to hear case against AIADMK's freebies - Jul 29, 2011
- Court sets aside Tamil Nadu top cop's appointment - Oct 08, 2010
- Resolve Cauvery water sharing dispute, says SC to PMO - Sep 03, 2012
- Apex court wants panel to examine Tamil Nadu school books - Jun 14, 2011
- SC refuses to stop fuel loading in Kundankulam plant (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Special session of Tamil Nadu assembly on Mullaperiyar issue - Dec 11, 2011
- SC declines plea on Tamil Nadu government's secretariat (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Jayalalithaa blames government on closed dyeing units - Feb 05, 2011
- Madras High Court orders uniform school syllabus - Jun 10, 2011
- Supreme Court wants panel to vet Tamil Nadu school books (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Check vehicles only on information: Election Commission told - Mar 23, 2011