Madras High Court stays decision to shift Anna Centenary LibraryNovember 4th, 2011 - 4:22 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Nov 4 (IANS) The Madras High Court Friday stayed the Tamil Nadu government’s decision to convert the newly-built Anna Centenary Library (ACL) here into a super specialty paediatric hospital while shifting the library to a different location.
Hearing two public suits filed by advoctes R. Prabhakaran and P. Pugazhendhi, the high court issued notice to the government and also queried as to why it decided to convert the library with modern facilities into a hospital. The notice is returnable in six weeks.
According to the petitioners, the government’s decision is politically motivated.
The library was built during the previous DMK regime.
Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa Wednesday announced the government’s decision to convert the library into a hospital while shifting the library to the Directorate of Public Instruction (DPI) complex where an Integrated Knowledge Park is being planned.
“The integrated knowledge park would house offices under DPI, training centre, conference halls, sports complex, distance education studio, incubation centre and a modern central library,” Jayalalithaa said.
She said the proposed paediatric hospital will be the first of its kind in the country and the state would rank at the top in taking care of the children’s health.
The decision to set up a paediatric hospital follows the government’s earlier decision to convert the DMK-built new legislative building into a super specialty hospital similar to New Delhi’s All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).
The Anna Centenary Library, with a capacity to house around 1.2 million books, was built for Rs.172 crore to commemorate the centenary of late chief minister C.N. Annadurai.
- Tamil Nadu government to convert library into hospital - Nov 02, 2011
- New secretariat in Chennai to be made a hospital - Aug 19, 2011
- Court stays new Tamil Nadu assembly complex's conversion - Jan 20, 2012
- Jayalalithaa against setting jail-birds free - Jun 25, 2010
- Sasikala's removal from Poes Garden may be permanent: Commentators - Dec 20, 2011
- Super specialty hospital coming up in Assam - Jun 11, 2012
- Chennai gears up for Clinton visit - Jul 19, 2011
- Anna's political move face-saver or inevitable? Debate is on - Aug 05, 2012
- Tamil Nadu to study LNG power project feasibility - Mar 29, 2012
- Opening up markets will result in prosperous Asia: Clinton - Jul 20, 2011
- Supreme Court's additional office complex plan approved - Jul 04, 2012
- AIADMK wave sinks DMK in Tamil Nadu (Roundup) - May 13, 2011
- Jayalalithaa demands withdrawal of cartoon from NCERT book (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- 100 days later, Jayalalithaa invites praise and scorn - Aug 23, 2011
- Virtual tools in Tamil Nadu's real political battle - Mar 08, 2011
Tags: aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, central library, chief minister, conference halls, crore, distance education, dmk, incubation centre, india institute, j jayalalithaa, knowledge park, legislative building, madras high court, million books, petitioners, prabhakaran, six weeks, specialty hospital, tamil nadu government