Madonna may face lawsuit in France over Nazi symbolJune 5th, 2012 - 10:19 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 5 (IANS/RIA Novosti) France’s National Front party has threatened to sue American pop diva Madonna over the use of Nazi swastika in depiction of party leader Marine Le Pen.
Madonna kicked off her MDNA Tour in Israel’s Tel Aviv last Thursday to promote her new album as well as peace between Israelis and Palestinians.
An image of Le Pen with a swastika on her forehead appeared on a giant screen during the concert, France 3 television reported.
Officials from the National Front, which has frequently been linked with anti-Semitism and racism but won a fifth of the popular vote during the first round of presidential elections in April, said Madonna had offended all of its members and supporters.
Le Pen, who has toned down the party’s extremist views since taking over the leadership from her notorious father last year, commented on Madonna’s provocative stunt by saying: “We understand how old singers who need to get people talking about them go to such extremes.”
Her deputy, Louis Aliot, was more blunt, stating that the party will look into the possibility of filing a law suit against Madonna if she repeats her stunt during a concert in France.
Madonna, who turns 54 in August, will stage a concert at the Stade de France in Paris July 14 when France celebrates Bastille Day, which marks the end of the French monarchy and the beginning of the French Revolution.
- Madonna 'purposefully' chose Swastika scandal - Jul 27, 2012
- Madonna broke 'gay propaganda' law: Russian official - Aug 11, 2012
- Madonna's album released in Russia three days early - Mar 23, 2012
- Madonna dedicates song to Elton John - Aug 24, 2012
- Madonna sued for $10 mn over Russian concert comments - Aug 18, 2012
- Madonna should be denied Russian visa: Theologian - Apr 06, 2012
- Olympic cycling: Colombia's Pajon flies to gold in women's BMX - Aug 10, 2012
- Still time to avoid civil war in Syria, says Hollande - Jul 14, 2012
- Math teacher in Russia sentenced for verbal abuse - Apr 12, 2012
- Madonna fans oppose bombing Iran before Israel gig - Feb 10, 2012
- French embassies face closure over prophet's cartoon - Sep 20, 2012
- Madonna breaks down during concert - Jul 06, 2012
- 'Anti-Jewish' John Galliano 'could face prison despite apology' - Mar 03, 2011
- Euro 2012: UEFA fines Croatia for racism - Jun 20, 2012
- France coach Laurent Blanc resigns - Jul 01, 2012
Tags: american pop, anti semitism, bastille day, beginning of the french revolution, extremist views, france 3 television, french monarchy, giant screen, israelis and palestinians, law suit, marine le pen, nazi swastika, nazi symbol, party leader, pop diva, popular vote, presidential elections, ria novosti, snb, stade de france