Madhya Pradesh power crisis worsens, shortfall rises by 1,800 MWApril 18th, 2008 - 9:25 pm ICT by admin
Bhopal, April 18 (IANS) With the Madhya Pradesh State Electricity Board’s (MPSEB} five thermal units going out of order, the power shortfall in the state worsened, touching 1,800 MW from around 1,000 MW during peak hours, sources said. “While a 210 MW unit at the Sanjay Gandhi Thermal Power Station (SGTPS) was already out of order since Tuesday, what has added to the woes of the power consumers in the state is the failure of MPSEB’s four thermal units Thursday night,” said a Board official.
These four units, having a cumulative installed capacity to generate 850 MW include 500 MW and 210 MW under SGTPS and 120 MW and 20 MW at the Amarkantak Thermal Power Station.
The simultaneous failure of five power generating units brought down the thermal power generation strength in the state from 2647.5 MW to 1587.5 MW, leading to huge unscheduled power cuts across the state. The rural areas were the worst hit.
While district and tehsil headquarters have already been put under load shedding for five to 13 hours, the rural areas are facing 14 hours” scheduled power cut.
All the failed units are expected to resume power generation by Sunday, said a senior MPSEB official.
This is the second time in a week that the SGTPS power generating units are not functioning. Four units under SGTPS were shut down due to technical snag April 11 and could be started after two days.
- Assam power crisis to continue - May 08, 2012
- Karnataka team in Delhi to ask for power - Oct 12, 2011
- Karnataka to buy 1,000MW daily to meet demand - Jan 13, 2012
- Centre agrees to supply power to Andhra - Oct 04, 2011
- Power cuts likely to continue in Odisha - Jul 07, 2012
- Telangana strike enters 25th day - Oct 07, 2011
- Atomic power station reactors to generate 340 MW - Aug 22, 2012
- Maharashtra slams poor quality coal supply to power plants - Oct 14, 2011
- Karnataka power crisis worsens, to buy 300 MW from Punjab - Sep 30, 2011
- Karnataka seeks more coal, power to stave off crisis - Oct 08, 2011
- Northeast to generate 5,000 MW more in next few years - Jul 07, 2011
- Three hydel power plants to come up in Mizoram - Jul 18, 2011
- Telangana collieries strike hits power supplies in south India - Sep 15, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh to have more power outages - Jun 28, 2009
- Jayalalithaa asks Prime Minister for power from central pool - Jun 06, 2011