Madhya Pradesh, Mizoram poll dates changedOctober 29th, 2008 - 9:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 29 (IANS) The Election Commission Wednesday rescheduled the assembly elections in Madhya Pradesh and Mizoram to Nov 27 and Dec 2 respectively to provide more time for deploying security forces.“After reassessing the time required for proper demobilisation and transportation of the police forces for elections in Madhya Pradesh after the elections in Chhattisgarh are over on Nov 20, the Commission has now decided to re-fix the poll date in Madhya Pradesh on Nov 27 instead of Nov 25 announced earlier,” the poll panel said in a statement.
It said the Mizoram election date was changed since Nov 29, the previously announced date, was a Saturday, which “has some special significance” for a segment of people and it would be “inconvenient” for them to vote that day.
The statement said the other stages of elections in Madhya Pradesh and Mizoram remain unchanged.
The Election Commission Oct 14 announced election dates for Rajasthan (Dec 4), Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh (Nov 14 and 20), Mizoram and Delhi (Nov 29). Counting of votes cast would be taken up Dec 8.
A week later, the commission declared seven-phased elections for Jammu and Kashmir, from Nov 17 to Dec 24. Counting will be on Dec 28.
- Five states to see elections in January-March (Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Bye-polls for 27 seats in eight states on June 12 - Apr 24, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh first phase poll shifted to March 3, counting March 6 (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Counting in five poll-bound states on March 6 - Jan 09, 2012
- Postal votes valid if received till counting: Poll panel - Feb 29, 2012
- By-polls for two Uttar Pradesh seats Nov 20 (Lead) - Oct 18, 2010
- Bypolls for two Himachal constituencies Nov 30 - Nov 01, 2011
- Voting begins in Uttarakhand - Jan 30, 2012
- Election commissioners to visit Lucknow Friday - Jan 05, 2012
- Elections in five states from Nov 14 - Oct 14, 2008
- Bypoll for Bhatgaon assembly seat Oct 1: EC - Sep 03, 2010
- Courts can't decide poll dates: Supreme Court (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Congress trying reservation card in UP polls: BJP - Dec 24, 2011
- Hisar Lok Sabha, five assembly by-polls Oct 13 - Sep 07, 2011
- Assembly by-poll in Goa Oct 18 - Sep 20, 2010