Madhya Pradesh has a ‘government of criminals’: CongressNovember 20th, 2008 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 20 (IANS) The Congress party Thursday accused the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government in Madhya Pradesh of “eating up” the money meant for development purposes, and has termed the state government as a “government of criminals”.“The BJP government has achieved the Himalayan heights of corruption in Madhya Pradesh in independent India. This government has eaten up the money meant for development and public welfare purposes,” said Abhishek Manu Singhvi, Congress spokesperson at a press conference here.
Singhvi alleged the state government had withdrawn thousands of cases against criminals, which was the reason behind the increasing rate of crime in the state.
“72,000 cases have been withdrawn against criminals. Only a government of criminals will withdraw cases against criminals,” Singhvi said.
Singhvi accused the BJP government of a series of scams related to land allotment.
“The BJP has given a new meaning to the phrase ‘zameen se judna’ (connected to land) by appropriating and allotting land by fraudulent means. This is evident by the cases filed by the Lokayukta against many of the ministers of the BJP, including former chief minister Babulal Gaur,” Singhvi said.
Singhvi accused the state government of siphoning off money from the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (NREGS) as well.
“Seventy-five percent of the money given by the central government under NREG Scheme has been eaten up by the ruling party in Madhya Pradesh. This has been published in a report by an NGO named Centre for Emvironment and Food,” Singhvi said.
Mainstream political parties have launched a tirade against each other as elections are underway in six states.
Madhya Pradesh goes to the polls Nov 27. The results will be declared Dec 8.
- Kejriwal is BJP agent, says Digvijay Singh - Jul 21, 2012
- Withdraw cases against Bhatta farmers: Rajnath to Akhilesh - May 08, 2012
- Use discretion for poor, apex court tells states - Jan 18, 2011
- BJP accuses Mayawati government of Rs.5,000 crore land scam - May 24, 2011
- BSP, BJP fooling people, says Congress - Jan 06, 2012
- 'Himachal on Sale' say BJP, Congress (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Sep 14, 2012
- Raman Singh sends Rs.1 crore defamation notice to media houses - Dec 15, 2011
- Rahul flays 'insensitive' Mayawati, Mulayam - Nov 23, 2011
- BJP wants CBI probe against Mayawati - Jun 01, 2011
- Bhopal tragedy survivors to observe black day - Oct 29, 2011
- Delhi land scam: Charges to be framed against 10 accused - May 05, 2012
- Gujarat carrying vendetta against officials: Congress - Oct 03, 2011
- BJP should apologise for attacking judiciary: Congress - Feb 06, 2012
- Political war erupts as CBI raids Kushwaha's premises (Roundup) - Jan 04, 2012
- BJP trying to use Anna as front, says Congress - Dec 13, 2011