Madhya Pradesh float to depict Tantya Bhil for R-DayJanuary 12th, 2009 - 6:59 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Jan 12 (IANS) Madhya Pradesh will pay homage to Tantya Bhil, the greatest Bhil fighter who led a 15-year-long rebellion against the British in the late 19th century, on Republic Day this year, an official statement said Monday. “A float on Tantya Bhil and the peasant and tribal movement will pass through Rajpath during the Republic Day parade. The theme and design of the float have been developed by the Public Relations Department, Madhya Pradesh government,” it said.
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan inspected the model of the tableau during his last visit to Delhi and praised the work.
Known as the ‘Robinhood of Central India’, Tantya Bhil was simple by nature and very large-hearted. His physique was not very impressive, as he was only about five feet tall.
Right in his adolescence, he had started displaying qualities of leadership. Those days, money lenders and landlords ruled the roost as nobody dared to challenge them because of the support and protection they enjoyed from the ruling class.
Tantya, however, took up his fight against the dominant ruling classes. Because of his practice of distributing the money among the needy, poor people, he emerged as a hero of the masses.
In the eyes of the British, Tantya was a bandit, who had challenged the established administration and judicial system. He was hanged on Dec 4, 1889, by the British.
- Kashmiri folk culture comes alive at R-Day - Jan 26, 2011
- R-Day tableau displays Kashmir's oneness, architectural heritage - Jan 26, 2012
- Remembering Tagore twice over at R-Day parade (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Poll panel showcases ballot power in R-Day parade (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Sonia unwell, skips Republic Day functions (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- State ministers' black money in chit fund companies: Digvijay - Jul 07, 2011
- Naval band chief celebrates silver jubilee - Jan 26, 2012
- Chouhan gifts Bhopal a stadium on India's win - Mar 31, 2011
- Kamal Nath joins Ramdev's fight against corruption - May 23, 2011
- C-130J makes debut at Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Indian Railway tableau to showcase its history at R-Day parade (With images) - Jan 25, 2012
- Shivraj Chouhan flip-flop on railway budget - Mar 14, 2012
- Poll panel's tableau - first in Republic Day parade history - Jan 26, 2012
- R-Day tableau brings Kashmir culture alive - Jan 26, 2010
- Madhya Pradesh youth to get Youth Commission - Jan 13, 2012