Madhya Pradesh communal clash: Death toll rises to eightOctober 11th, 2008 - 8:28 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Oct 11 (IANS) The death toll in Friday’s religious riots in a Madhya Pradesh town has risen to eight with five people succumbing to their injuries Saturday, police said.Three people had died and 21 were injured in the clashes Friday in Burhanpur town, over 300 km from here, that also saw shops and houses being torched despite curfew being imposed. Shoot-at-sight orders were issued Friday night in the violence-hit town.
Curfew continued in the town even though the officials said the situation was under control.
“The situation is now under control and additional police force from Indore and Bhopal has reached there,” Deputy Inspector General (Khargone) G. Janardhan told IANS.
The communal tension began Thursday night when some people pelted stones at a religious procession passing through the Gandhi Chowk area.
The situation was, however, immediately brought under control after elders from the communities intervened.
Traders in the Gandhi Chowk area Friday downed their shutters to protest the previous night’s violence. But in the afternoon, a group of people damaged shops and set some of them ablaze.
Soon, members of the two communities started pelting stones at each other, injuring several people. Two houses were also torched in Lalbagh area even though curfew was in force, the officials said.
- Communal clashes claim three lives in Madhya Pradesh town (Lead) - Oct 11, 2008
- Andhra town tense after communal violence (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Communal tension in Madhya Pradesh town, curfew clamped - Oct 10, 2008
- Curfew imposed in Andhra town - Mar 30, 2012
- Assam toll now 18, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Tension spilling over to Jammu - Mar 16, 2012
- Curfew continues in riot-hit old Hyderabad (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Situation peaceful in riot-hit Hyderabad, curfew continues (Lead) - Mar 31, 2010
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Uneasy calm in Hyderabad as curfew continues - Mar 31, 2010
- Critically ill man dies in curfew-bound Madhya Pradesh town - Oct 15, 2008
- Curfew imposed in old Hyderabad - Apr 08, 2012
- Fresh violence in Assam, curfew imposed - Aug 16, 2012
- Toll in Hyderabad rises to two, curfew in more areas - Mar 31, 2010
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012