Madhya Pradesh announces jobs for sportspersonsAugust 30th, 2008 - 2:11 am ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Aug 29 (IANS) The Madhya Pradesh government Friday announced jobs for sportspersons who have won the Vikram Award - a sports award instituted by the state government. Minister of State for Sports and Youth Welfare Tukojirao Puar made the announcement while addressing a function organised to felicitate the Olympic gold medallist, ace shooter Abhinav Bindra at Ravindra Bhawan in the evening.
Bindra was given a cheque of Rs.500,000 on behalf of the state government for winning the Gold Medal in the 10 m Air Rifle event at the Being Olympics. Additional chief secretary (sports) Ranjana Chaudhry and director (sSports) Sanjay Chaudhry confirmed the reward money being given to Bindra.
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan had announced the reward soon after Abhinav bagged the gold medal.
At the function, 10 Vikram, 11 Eklavya and three Vishwamitra awards were also given in addition to a lifetime achievement award to sportspersons of the state.
The Vikram Award carries Rs.50,000 and is given to three famous players of the state, while the Eklavya Award that carries Rs.25,000 is meant for upcoming sportspersons. The Vishwamitra Award and Lifetime Achievement Award are given to the best coach and a prominent player of the state respectively and both carries a cash reward of Rs.50,000.
Bindra expressed gratitude towards Madhya Pradesh government for inviting him to Bhopal and thanked residents for according him a warm welcome.
Earlier in the day, Bindra, who arrived here to a tumultuous welcome, expressed the hope that India would win more medals in the London Olympics 2012, as people of the country have begun to take interest in sports other than cricket.
- Madhya Pradesh to set up museum after Dhyan Chand - Jan 24, 2012
- Cash award to Bindra for Asian shooting gold - Jan 18, 2012
- Haryana announces Rs.1 crore for Gagan Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- Abhinav Bindra recommended for Bharat Ratna - Dec 19, 2011
- Abhinav Bindra recommended for Bharat Ratna (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Haryana's Olympians to get Rs.11 lakh reward - Jun 01, 2012
- Haryana government felicitates Asian Games athletes - Dec 22, 2010
- Win international sports medal, get promoted - Jul 20, 2012
- Sports minister gives away cash awards to 158 athletes - May 10, 2012
- Punjab players get cash rewards - Feb 05, 2011
- Dhoni, Bindra to don olive green from Tuesday - Oct 31, 2011
- North-Eastern council announces rewards for Olympic medallists - Jul 27, 2012
- Badal pushes for government jobs for sportspersons - May 20, 2011
- Haryana announces cash awards for Olympic medallist - Jul 26, 2012
- Isn't it time to invest in Indian sportspersons? (Comment) - Dec 07, 2010