Luis Suarez charged by FA for racial abuseNovember 17th, 2011 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 17 (IANS) On a day when FIFA president Sepp Blatter said there was no racism in football, the Football Association (FA) charged Liverpool’s Uruguay striker Luis Suarez for hurling racial abuses against Manchester United’s left back Patrice Evra during a Premier League match.
Evra in a television interview to French channel Canal+, alleged that Suarez repeatedly hurled racist insults at him during the 1-1 draw at Old Trafford between between the two sides.
FA’s announcement came after a month long investigation into the incident.
“The FA has today charged Liverpool’s Luis Suarez following an incident that occurred during the Liverpool versus Manchester United fixture at Anfield on 15 October 2011,” the FA revealed on their website.
“It is alleged that Suarez used abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour towards Manchester United’s Patrice Evra contrary to FA rules. It is further alleged that this included a reference to the ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race of Patrice Evra.”
It is reported that Suarez would be pleading not guilty to all charges. FA’s announcement comes weeks after an investigation was started on Chelsea skipper John Terry who allegedly racially abused Anton Ferdinand of QPR.
- Footballers' association demands Blatter's resignation on racism comments - Nov 17, 2011
- Suarez slapped with fine and ban for obscene gesture - Dec 29, 2011
- Liverpool striker Suarez banned for 8 games - Dec 21, 2011
- Under fire, Suarez gets support from Uruguayan president - Feb 17, 2012
- PSG eyeing Liverpool's Suarez - Feb 16, 2012
- Police probe racial gesture by Liverpool fan - Jan 29, 2012
- Sturridge subjected to racial chants in Napoli - Feb 21, 2012
- Chelsea says no to Terry T-shirts - Dec 26, 2011
- Terry facing criminal charges over alleged racial slurs - Dec 22, 2011
- Alan Hansen apologizes for his Luis Suarez's gaffe - Dec 22, 2011
- Johan Cruyff denies making racist remarks against Davids - Nov 22, 2011
- Terry might quit national side - Feb 04, 2012
- FA likely to sack Terry as England captain - Feb 03, 2012
- Young Aston Villa mascot mimics Suarez snub - Feb 14, 2012
- Parker to captain England against Holland - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: anfield, anton ferdinand, contrary, ethnic origin, football association, insulting words, insults, john terry, liverpool, manchester united fixture, match, old trafford, patrice evra, premier league, qpr, racial abuse, racism in football, skipper, striker, television interview